BusinessObjects Board

New anti-spam needed?

Getting far more spammers these days - does the anti-spam need reviewing?

agree

bernard timbal :fr: (BOB member since 2003-05-26)

Yes, we’re working on it. :shock:

MichaelWelter :vatican_city: (BOB member since 2002-08-08)

I agree. I don’t know much about phpbb, but if you could at least block messages from new users that contain a URL in the subject, I think that would knock off most of them.

joepeters :us: (BOB member since 2002-08-29)

That’s one of the most popular suggestions, yes.

There is a substantial amount of new code over at “Beta BOB” that was never moved to production, including an exact phrase / full text search engine. I spent some time reviewing the code over the long weekend (Memorial Day in the US) and designing the URL block feature for new users.

Dave Rathbun :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-06)

Or include in the new accout process creation a one day delay to avoid people to post new entries just after having created account.

It’s quite depressing that what should have been used for information sharing and the benefit of mankind (the world wide web as a whole, not just BOB) is being abused by so many. Time for some more chlorine in the gene pool. :reallymad:

:rotf:

it becomes urgent :slight_smile:

Spam-city today!

Is it worth having a few more mods? Or even just giving some people the ability to delete posts? It’d be quicker to delete spam than report it in many cases and I don’t mind volunteering to help out.

Debbie

Debbie :uk: (BOB member since 2005-03-01)

Me, too.

joepeters :us: (BOB member since 2002-08-29)

A new role of Forum Janitor would be sufficient :smiley:

I think I got them all, for now.

Code development is underway on Beta BOB. In the meantime, keep reporting them. Thanks for your help, everyone.

I have a busy summer. But yes, I’ve already started some coding that will help address the spam issue.

But I do like the idea of a Forum Janitor… :lol: … very appropriate.

more than 15 spams todays ! Help me to keep this place clean :slight_smile:

Some coding is in the works. That’s about all I can offer at the moment.

Any news on this Dave? General is getting spammed to death most days.

Beta Bob has been updated and tested - thanks to all who participated. We just need a slot when Real Bob can be updated. In the meantime you can help us by reporting spam where you see it and never ever clicking on any of the links in spam posts. In addition we have recently implemented a number of measures which are deterring casual spammers and meaning even the pro-outfits are having to take longer and longer to make their postings with more and more attempts being automatically blocked.

Bob Junior :uk: (BOB member since 2005-04-23)

I won’t be opening any of the dodgy-looking topics after opening one that had a NSFW image in it. Sorry.