BusinessObjects Board

Named vs Concurrent user

Hi,

I am trying to figure out the difference between a named user and concurrent user.

Previously i thought a named user can only have one session whereas concurrent user can have multiple sessions simultaneously, which is not true.

Anyone with a better answer as why do we need two separate users?

Thanks for your time.

P34C3 :us: (BOB member since 2005-11-30)

Named user is the user who is able to log in into the system.

Concurrent users - users who are concurrently logged in into the system. You can have concurrent active users - who are logged in and are actively using the system.

so its just naming convention to help estimate the syatem sizing.

-MR

Mahi (BOB member since 2004-07-22)

Can you explain it a little more Mahipal as Concurrent user can log in into the system too but what makes the named user different from the concurrent.

I understand concurrent users are user who can log in into the system concurrently.

Has it something to do with the user Licenses?

Thanks for your time!

It has everything to do with user licences. A 100 named user license would allow 100 specific (named) individuals to use the system, regardless of how many are using the system simultaneously (could be 1 user or all 100). A 100 concurrent user license would allow up to 100 users to use the system simultaneously, even if you have 10,000 specific (named) users defined.

Does that help?

Dwayne Hoffpauir :us: (BOB member since 2002-09-19)

Yes indeed!

Thanks Dwayne.

Adding to Dwayne

Concurrent license works when you want to save money on BO purchase or if you know that only a certain percentage of users login out of your total user population at any given time.

Sheshachala5 :india: (BOB member since 2004-01-09)

It also depends on the module. Some modules like Crystal reports, you have to buy named user licenses. And for modules like webi, concurrent licenses make sense.

substring :us: (BOB member since 2004-01-16)

hi to all,

about me it doesn’t make a sense… when should i buy a named user license and when to buy a concurrent one?? which is better??

Rawan

rawan :jordan: (BOB member since 2006-01-19)

It’s a very straightforward break-even analysis. Calculate each of the following, and the smaller number wins:[list]1. Estimated number of total users times price per named user license
2. Estimated number of concurrent users times price per concurrent user license[/list]Of course the hard part is the estimates, and your confidence in those estimates. If you underestimate the number of concurrent users, they’ll be quite angry if they can’t log in. Underestimate the number of total users, and you’re leaving money on the table. Fun huh!

Dwayne Hoffpauir :us: (BOB member since 2002-09-19)

Hi

With 120 Concurrent user license, will it allow me to connect 120 users in Designer?

We about to provide access to Designer for the users and bit anxious due to the licensing clarity.

Regards,
Siva.M

looksmee :uk: (BOB member since 2006-02-08)

Yes, with 120 concurrent licenses 120 active users can be online at a time.

Thanks,
Zaif

zaif235 :us: (BOB member since 2010-06-15)

There are 2 types of user licenses in BO,

1. Named user licenses (NUL)
    With NULs, you get guaranteed access to the system. Ideal for heavy users, or users that
    must have access to the system (for example, quarter end reporting)
    For example: for managers, executives, and analysts

2. Concurrent access licenses (CAL).
    CALs are for casual reporting users who do not login to BO that frequently.

Most companies use a combination of NULs and CALs.
Let us say, we have 10 NULs and 40 CALs.

For example if a user is a concurrent user and logs into BI launchpad, CMC, IDT, webi rich client,
they are using up 4 concurrent sessions will open = 4 CALs

CALs are based on sessions, not users.
You have to understand how many users in you company can login at the same time to access reports.
That is the number of concurrent access licenses that you will need.

You can find the information on licenses by going to
CMC → Settings → View Global Metrics
You can also go to
CMC–> License Keys

regards
Varun D