BusinessObjects Board

Named Pipes error message

I have a daily ETL job that has been running fine for a year but in the last few weeks, occasionally it fails, and always with the same error message as below:

“ODBC data source error message for operation : <[Microsoft][SQL Server Native Client 10.0]Named Pipes Provider: The specified network name is no longer available.”.

After the job fails, I just rerun it and it runs fine the 2nd time.

ETL Code has not changed in a year and we are on Data Services 12.2.3.0

Source tables are on a SQL Server 2008 db and target tables on a different SQL Server 2008 db.

I’ve checked with the DBA group and they are not seeing any issues on either SQL Server and also checked with DS administration and they are not seeing
any issues on the job server.

Researching it online shows things like “The network resource that you specified was either temporarily taken offline or is no longer available” and similar stuff like that.

Do you have any idea what could cause this error to start these last few weeks?

Based on the error message, can I be sure that the error comes from the connection to PHX001SQL?

Any other suggestions how to research this futher would be appreciated.

Thanks.

tvanbreukelen :netherlands: (BOB member since 2008-10-16)

The error message can be a bit misleading. If you had searched the forum you might have come upon this thread: FIL-080134: dataflow Named pipe error occurred.

What it comes down to is the Dataflow has spawned separate processes and one of them took too long so the Dataflow quit.

eganjp :us: (BOB member since 2007-09-12)