BusinessObjects Board

My Sliced Metric Isn't Slicing

I have created a PM universe with a Sales table. The table is not linked to any other tables. Within the Sales table there is a Type dimension which I would like to use to create a sliced metric. In setting up the sliced dimension, I used the Type dimension as both the Dimension Name and the Dimension Code. However, the result is that only the Global Slice is being created. I know that in many cases the creation of a sliced dimension involves adding a join between two tables and using two different dimensions for Dimension Name and Dimension Code. However I don’t have that option for my setup? What do I do?

(I’m running BO Enterprise XI rel. 2, MSSQL 2000 database)
Screen Shot 2011-10-31 at 12.06.20 PM.png

adricey :jamaica: (BOB member since 2008-07-09)

It’s not necessary that the name and code come from different tables, or that they be different fields.

Did you check off “Yes I want to create sliced metrics…” on the first page of the dimension wizard?

Debugging metrics can be a nightmare. First thing I’d do is check ci_probe_dim.executable_sql for the dimension that you created. If there are obvious problems in the SQL, it will show up there. If that looks ok, I would then enable all tracing, refresh the dimension, then check the logs. It will show you the exact SQL that it sent to the database, and the result that it got back.

Joe

joepeters :us: (BOB member since 2002-08-29)

Thanks for the reply Joe Peters. Yes, I did check off “Yes I want to create sliced metrics…” on the first page of the dimension wizard. I’ve attached the info I filled in, including the message shown at the end - “Missing Prompt Value”. I’m very lost now.
Dialogs.png

adricey :jamaica: (BOB member since 2008-07-09)