BusinessObjects Board

Multiple Repository Question

Using Business Objects v6.5 we currently have one repository with multiple universe and document domains. We need to move the repository to a new database on a different server. However we would like to keep the current repository and the new repository running in parallel for a while for test purposes. Eventually the current repository will be switched off.

I have read some earlier topics that explain how to move to a new repository e.g. export the schema and import to the new database. Then go into Supervisor and run a safe recovery and switch the domains to point to the new repository. There are a few things I am trying to understand as I cannot find any documentation on how you create a second repository.
(1) What is the best method of creating a second repository?
(2) After it is created will the login screen automatically change to let you select which security domain to connect to?
(3) If the answer to (2) is yes then will this be the case for reporter, designer and supervisor, therefore will users have to choose which security domain to login to? Or does this only apply if you have both bomain.key files on your PC?
(4) In the second repository can you have the same General Supervisor username that you have in the first repository?
(5) In the second repository can the domain names be the same as the first repository or do they have to be different?
(6) When the second repository is created will the domains already exist (if I have exported/imported the original repository to a new location) or do I need to create new ones? If I need to create new domains can they be the same names as the first repository or do they have to be different?
(7) Is there any risk to the first repository, users, and reports by creating a second repository?

Thanks in advance for your help :slight_smile:
GB

GB07 (BOB member since 2008-04-01)

(1) Create as many schema as you need. Cpy the database. Switch everything within the Supervisor …
(2) Yes you can switch playing with the .key file …
(3) Yes if you send them the new .key but could be tricky for a end user to understand …
(4) Yes
(5) Same BO name (domain name) the database or schema is different only
(7) No if you segregate these 2 repositories…

Depends on the database. For Oracle, I would do an export/import.

If you’re talking about Full Client/Designer, then the logon page will display an entry for every .key file that exists in the locdata folder. Once you do your safe recovery and create a new .key file there, you should see it on the logon page. For Infoview, you can only use a single key file (and it must be named bomain.key)

It’s dependent on the local machine – one machine with a single key file will not have an option to select a domain. A machine with multiple key files will have the option.

Yes, absolutely. All the users can be identical, if you want.

They can be different. The two repositories are completely isolated, so it doesn’t really matter what you call anything. Obviously, however, they can’t share the same domain tables.

They will exist in the copy. This is where the danger comes in – if you don’t re-point the domains to the copies, then you run the risk of crosslinking the repositories. Which is very bad. So, you don’t have to create new domains in the copy, but you do have to repoint the ones that will be there.

Yes, if you don’t re-point the document and universe domains.

joepeters :us: (BOB member since 2002-08-29)

Thanks for both of these very helpful replies. :smiley:

GB07 (BOB member since 2008-04-01)

So when are you planning to upgrade to the XI platform :lol:

Andreas :de: (BOB member since 2002-06-20)