BusinessObjects Board

Mobile Version of BOB OR tapatalk enabled forum on Phones?

I’ve been fllowing BOB for sometime but only registered today. I was wondering if there is a mobile version of this website/forum in the works. Alternatively I wasn’t able to find the forum on tapatalk app for mobile phones. A lot of us are usually on the go and would like to access the forum on our smart phones. A mobile version of the forum or a tapatalk enabled forum on tapatalk app for iphone/Android/blackberry/Nokia would allow the users on the go to be able to access the forum and be more active. This will also result in increased traffic and participation from the users.

Just my two cents.

Hope the administrators of this great forum look into this.

Thanks.

We have been experimenting with various mobile solutions. One was “consume only” meaning the output of the board was formatted for a smaller screen, but none of the posting functions were enabled. Other solutions that we’ve looked at over the years have had different limitations. It has not been on the list for a while now, so perhaps it’s a good time to revisit the idea.

Dave Rathbun :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-06)

Its good to know there has been some experimenting regarding this. Have you looked at tapatalk forum app. The app is available on iphone/android/blackberry and Nokia. Once you enable tapatalk plugin for the forum, the forum can be viewed in a mobile friendly tapatalk app. Forum navigation is much faster in tapatalk. Tapatalk.com provides further guidance regarding this.

phpBB2 is not on the supported list for that app.

Oh okay. Then I think a mobile friendly version of BOB would be the best option, of course you would know better than me. In my view, this would eliminate the need of developing or modifying a phone app for iphone , android or blackberry as one mobile website would do the job.

Upgrading to phpBB3 has been on the “consideration” list for well over a year as well. :slight_smile: This app may be one of the pieces of the puzzle that finally makes that effort worthwhile, so I appreciate you bringing it up. Thanks.

I hope this upgrade happens soon.

It’s not likely to happen in the next few months.

Bob (BOB member since 2002-06-06)

Thanks for your nudge. :slight_smile: And your interest. There have been some discussions going on between various parties behind the scenes, but so far nothing has been determined.

It would be interesting to know how many folks would take advantage of such a feature. Perhaps a poll is in order.

I’m also a Tapatalk user and looking foward to bob forum update, which works with Tapatalk.

larus (BOB member since 2010-03-31)

The folks that make Tapatalk apparently have no interest in developing a version that supports phpBB2. At this point we have no intention of upgrading to phpBB3 due to the level of customization that we’ve done to our version of phpBB2. I’ve looked at the code that Tapatalk provides for phpBB3 and I believe it could be customized to work with phpBB2, but the level of effort required could be substantial.

So unless this becomes an overwhelmingly requested feature, it will probably remain on the future “to be considered” list for now.

hmmm…then at least a mobile friendly UI for mobile devices could suffice in the meantime if its not much of a hassle :slight_smile: