BusinessObjects Board

Migration/Upgarading from BO XI R2 to BO XI 3.1 or BO 4.0?

Hi all,
Presently we are looking at upgrading/Migrate our BO XI R2 SP6. I am puzzled about either we move to BO XI 3.1 or BO 4.0 and i need some strong fundamentals to support it before presenting it to management.
Please share your vies and thoughts for either to move to BO XI 3.1 or BO 4.0

thanks
nirav

nniravv :india: (BOB member since 2007-08-16)

You can go through this thread (at your own risk :mrgreen: ):

XI 3.1, IMHO, is a pretty stable version. Having said that, you may also like to try BO 4.0, and go for an upgrade to BO 4.1, as BO 4.0 is a major release, there is a general expectation that 4.1 will be better. But, you cannot bank upon this with full assurance. There is also be a possibility that BO 4.0 comes up a stable release.

Rajat Sapru :us: (BOB member since 2008-08-28)

You can only upgrade to 4.0 from XIr2 SP2 and later.

Thanks MARK, w ehave XI R2 SP6 and willing to move to BOXI 3.1 or BO 4.0
I am looking for few points which can support upgaradtion to BO 4.0. As BO 4.0 is newer there will be apprehesions and rightly so.

thanks
nirav

nniravv :india: (BOB member since 2007-08-16)

4.0 isn’t available yet - if you have project deadlines to meet, go for XI3.1 and take the upgrade once 4.1 is out, especially if you’re in a risk-averse organisation.

Even though SAP BI 4.0 is not GA yet (GA = General Availability) customers, to my knowledge, can download it (SAP BI 4.0 + SP1 + patchlevel 05 or 06) if they sign a release form or such thing.

As Mark mentioned, one has to weigh the risk carefully using a x.0 release versus the benefits of new functionality/features.

Andreas :de: (BOB member since 2002-06-20)