BusinessObjects Board

Migrating reports/universes through servers

Hello,

I would like to migrate a universe and its associated reports from a WI instance to another one.
I basically want to create a migration process from a development environement to a live environement.

What is the best to do that?
Can I just copy the .univ and /wid files from one environment to the other?
Are the reports and universe logically tights by some metadata?

Are there tools to out there for BOBJ migration?

Cheers,
Minh

minh (BOB member since 2004-07-15)

If its a one time execise, then export universes and reports to files. You could use a Full Client Installation for that.

Now point your bomain.key towards your “live” repository and import/publish/upload these files.

shamit (BOB member since 2004-07-01)

At present there is no tool to migrate reports between different servers.

Is webi documents in question present in corporate documents? if yes then you dont need to do anything.

If the documents in questions are user documents then you need to copy all the documents from user folders and put the same in the folder of the user in the new server.

Before opening the documents in the new server make sure that you have exported the universe in the new environment with the same name.

I hope this helps.

Jai

JaiGupta (BOB member since 2002-09-12)

That s the problem,
it will be an ongoing process:
if a bug is found, then the fix team sorts it out, then they need to migrate the new code from developpment to live…and so on.
I guess exporting the whole thing is not a problem either.
I ll try to see if it is handy/fast/error proof.

Cheers,
Minh

If the code you are talking about is reports then you simply export them to corpoarte documents thats it. What else you need to do…

JaiGupta (BOB member since 2002-09-12)

I will have several instances of WI either on teh same server or on different servers.
And I just want to copy reports and their associated universe from one environemtn to the other. I ll try the export functionality first as it seems to be a simple one.

Thanks for the quick and insightful answers
Cheers,
Minh

To clarify:
Do you want to migrate universes and documents from one Business Objects repository to another Business Objects repository (read: separate *.key files)?

Andreas :de: (BOB member since 2002-06-20)

YES, the universes / reports will have to be moved from one repository to another one.
The 2 environments wont know anything about each other (even though they will be similarly configured)

Did you see this new FAQ Reporter entry regarding migration?

Note:
Keep in mind that as of today there is no easy way to migrate WebI documents from one Business Objects repository to another :frowning: This is something Business Objects does need to address soon.

Andreas :de: (BOB member since 2002-06-20)