BusinessObjects Board

Migrating Crystal Enterprise 8.5 and Crystal 10

I have recently inherited some legacy Crystal environments and need to migrate them to the most current BOBJ version. I have previously migrated Crystal 10 and have an XI environment I can use as a transition environment.

I don’t have any experience with Crystal 8.5 and not sure how to handle that one. One of the things I would like to do is query the CMS and pull out information about the reports (e.g. database information and schedule information) so we can analyze how the system is being used.

Does anyone know if there is an SDK for Crystal 8.5?

Any suggestions on a migration pattern for Crystal 8.5 to BOBJ 4.x?

Thanks in advance!
-Loren

ldkaplan (BOB member since 2009-10-23)

Do you mean Crystal Enterprise 8.5 or Crystal Reports 8.5? I believe there were COM-based SDKs available for both. I know for sure there was an SDK included with Crystal Report 8.5 Developer edition, but I’m not entirely sure about Crystal Enterprise.

There were significant changes in the underlying structure of the .rpt file with Crystal 9, so odds are that you’re going to have to upgrade all of the reports anyway. In Crystal Reports 8.5 and lower, you could manually edit the SQL that Crystal generated for the report. This feature went away with Crystal 9 and was replaced by Commands. If any of your 8.5 reports have had SQL edited, you will have to recreate them from scratch in the latest version of Crystal - they WILL NOT convert cleanly! (Thus speaks the voice of experience!) Otherwise you might be able to open them in the latest version of Crystal and save them to upgrade them to the new format.

In Crystal Enterprise, have you looked at the CMS database to determine whether you can just query for the data?

-Dell

hilfy :us: (BOB member since 2007-04-16)