BusinessObjects Board

merged dimensions

i have two data providers dataprovider1 contians d1,d2,m1 and dataprovider two contains d2,d3,m2 where d1,d2,d3 are dimensions
where as m1,m2 aremeasures
i want output like d1,d2,d3,d3,m1,m2 in one table
please tell me how it possible
i tried a lot
thanks in advance

challareddy (BOB member since 2009-08-05)

Welcome to B:bob:B!

After merging the similar dimensions, create detail objects for one of the data providers and then use them in the same block along with the objects of the first data provider. Check this topic.

Jansi :india: (BOB member since 2008-05-12)

thanks for u r answer

i didnt get u where we can change the dimesion object as a detail object

plz provide step by step procedure

You do this by creating variables. The variable points to the dimension object but is classified as a detail instead of a dimension. You can’t “convert” the original dimension to a detail unless the change is made in the universe.

Dave Rathbun :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-06)

I am trying to do the exact thing that is being discussed in this post. What do you mean by the statement below:

After merging the similar dimensions, create detail objects for one of the data providers and then use them in the same block along with the objects of the first data provider.

How do you create detail objects? Do you have to do this at a universe level or are you taling variable? If so, I do not have such access. I need to do this with basic report writing access, with variable creation being the most creative thing I can do. If variables, how do you get them to be usable in the merge dimensions window?

I’ve read a few other posts on other sites and they seem to imply this can be done but I can’t get a plain English response with instructions on what to do.

Thanks for your help - love this site.

Lisa

lajutown (BOB member since 2008-09-19)

You create the variables as just =[Sales Date] (or whatever your dimension is) and then make sure that it is defined as a Detail object at the top of the box, not a dimension. Give it a name, like [Sale Date Detail] and save it. Then you merge the still existing dimension version of the object, not the detail, but you use the detail on the report. Does that make sense?

Bobber :us: (BOB member since 2009-08-28)

I too am trying to accomplish this. I have 2 queries from 2 different data providers. There is a common field in both, Field Number.

I have used merge Dimensions to merge all of the fields that can be merged and have created detail objects for the fields that can’t be merged. They are variables that have a type of detail and that are set to equal the data element in my query.

When I drag the newely created detail obect to the first report block, all of my data goes away and every field contains #DATASYNC.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Lisa

lajutown (BOB member since 2008-09-19)

Split up the report block on the report panel & then deduce where exactly the error is coming from when interacting with your detail object

katullus :us: (BOB member since 2009-08-21)

You have to make sure that your objects are truly details, meaning that every dimension must have exactly one value for a detail. Later versions of Webi are better at detecting when you are trying to “trick” the process with variables.

Dave Rathbun :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-06)