BusinessObjects Board

Lumira desktop : automated installation to user machines

Hello,
I did some testing with Lumira
Lumira version : desktop 1.31.2
Environment: BusinessObjects Enterprise Platform BI 4.1 SP5, but no SAP services, no “HANA”, no “Lumira addon for SBOB server”

Installation - one by one - goes fairly well, but of course when my “tech dept” needs to organize a roll-out, they want to use “bundles” that can be pushed to user’s machine.

What we want to do :
Install Lumira Desktop onto users’ machines (at logon, at logoff, on demand … ) using Novell / Zen "bundles
Installing Lumira in a way that users do NOT need to type in the BI server names / cluster names , but can use a DROP DOWN list

After manually installing Lumira on my machine,
and creating the first few test-dataproviders using “universes”,
I copy-pasted the CMS names (cluster names) for sandbox / development / acceptance / production environments into the page launching the “data” wizard.

But those names are long and technical, hence the demand that “users will see a drop-down list”
(most only prod, some users prod + acceptance, bi admins get all 4 )

So I give the following to technical staff “installations” :
[list=]- a list of user names (logins) they will “push to” once there is a GO

• Lumira Desktop “installation file” (for windows 64 bit), with a document … wel as nothing goes wrong it’s a simple “launch setup, then next-next-…-finish” , so they can "record the difference between a machine without Lumira and one with Lumira, then put that into a "[/list]

This gives an installation that does NOT know about our “BI servers”.

I find those servers referenced in a “clusterinfo.1400.properties” file buried inside my user folder
( in windows 7: C:\Users<USER>.businessobjects\ )

But just pushing a copy of that file to a machine (fresh virtual test machine) that “got the installation” (by applying said ) is NOT enough.

Contrary to my machine, the Lumira doesn’t “know” where to find the BI servers / clusters when creating a new “data source”

So I overlooked something.
Anyone did that exercise already ?

Or is Lumira standard installed by

• copying install files, then
  • running (silent) setup (with an options file) and
  • communicating the “cluster info” by email ?

But where does the “cluster info” then reside ?

That may be possible, but IF it can be done, I’d like to offer our users an installation where they find “the server clusters” pre-filled.

Or is that simply not possible ?

RensH :belgium: (BOB member since 2007-06-18)