BusinessObjects Board

LOV with "ALL" option in XIR2

I know this topic has been discussed before, but I was underwelmed at the level of detail of the solutions offered. Believe me, I am most appreciative of the help offered on this site, but too often it seems that critical details are left out. Though it may be an exaggeration, it’s something akin to asking how to fix a transmission for a '69 Mustang and the solution offered is, “the key is to use a 3/8 " socket wrench”. While that might be useful information at some point in the process, it leaves a lot to be desired. So here goes my attempt to fill in the gaps on creating a prompted List of Values with the “ALL” option. Let me know whether I’ve left anything out (besides the socket wrench :wink: )
Thanks, Maineman
Optional Prompt in XIR2 for BOB w Screenshots.doc (449.0 KB)

maineman65 (BOB member since 2007-02-14)

On an initial review, this looks good. Do you have a blog? :slight_smile:

I would like to suggest that a few people give it a more in-depth review, and if okay, we’ll add your document to the FAQ sticky, as it certainly provides a lot more detail.

Thank you for taking the effort to provide this to the community.

Dave Rathbun :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-06)

Thanks, Dave. No, sorry, I don’t blog or tweet; it would take too much time away from fishing. Let me know if you need me to add anything more to the document.
Maineman

As long as you have your priorities straight! :lol:

As I mentioned, I only gave your document a brief look. I would like some other folks to have a chance to review and make suggestions, then will attach it to the FAQ entry.

Great job! Looks good.

Farhan Jaffery :us: (BOB member since 2005-08-27)

hi maineman,

looks good, easily read and understood.
If would suggest finding somewhere to post it permanently on the web (something more then a post on BOB).
so more people would be able to find it - eg. dave’s blog or some other site…

Thanks for the hard work!

Dragoran :israel: (BOB member since 2009-07-30)

Added to this post in the Designer FAQ. Thanks.

Dave, thanks but I don’t see the link on you FAQ
Maineman

It’s there. Click the link in my post, and it will take you to the post in the Designer FAQ related to ALL prompts. Scroll to the bottom of the post, and your attachment is there.

Looks good. 8)

katullus :us: (BOB member since 2009-08-21)

Sorry, Dave, but I still can’t see it. When I click on your link or either of the two FAQ links about the “All” option, all I see are Cindy Clayton’s posts from August 18, 2002 and September 27, 2003.
I even did a find on “ALL”, and still didn’t find anything else.
Can you send me the screen shot or URL?
Thanks, Maineman

Attachments are only visible if you’re logged in. If you’re not logged in, you won’t see it. The attachment appears at the very bottom of the post that I linked.

Ok, I must have timed out. Now I see it, but it’s attached to the bottom of Michael Welter’s post about cascading prompts and is not attached to either of the links in the topic list at the top of FAQ. ??
I guess I have my NO JO workin’.

This information is all so very useful - Thanks to all!

In the Designer FAQ note that is referenced in an earlier note above, it mentions 2 ways to implement the ALL option in an LOV list

What (if any) are the pro/con of either method?

Regards
Malin

goodwinma (BOB member since 2010-11-15)

Using the ‘Override SQL’ method is not recommended due to maintenance overhead. Any changes to your schema, e.g. table, column name changes, etc. are not going to be automatically updated in the custom SQL.

Farhan Jaffery :us: (BOB member since 2005-08-27)