BusinessObjects Board

LOV for cascading dynamic prompts not populating

We have two different servers, one for test and one for prod. I am using Crystal Reports 2016. I created a report (on the test server) w/cascading dynamic prompts and let the report create the BV/BE/DF/DC. When I run the report on the test server, the report works fine…I get a dropdown that is populated for my dynamic cascading prompts.

However, when I promote this report to the production server using Promotion Management in BO CMC, I do not get a dropdown for the dynamic cascading prompts when the report is run.

I’ve tried scheduling the LOV, verifying the database, as previous posts have suggested.

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

capper (BOB member since 2018-03-19)

I know that the dynamic prompt gets saved on the server (not sure where). But I wondered when the report got promoted that the dynamic prompt did not come over with the report. Not sure how to fix other that re-create the dynamic prompt.

kevlray :us: (BOB member since 2010-06-23)

When you promote the report, you need to include the “repository objects” in the dependencies in order to get the LOV to come over with the report.

There are a number of things that might cause this issue.

• Did you set the database logon credentials in the Data Connection to the appropriate values for your prod environment.

• Have you checked security on the objects (in the Business View Manager (BVM))? Anyone using the report needs to have View access to the DC, DF, BE, BV, LOV, and prompt.

For future reference, having the report created the objects in the BVM is NOT a best practice. You will end up with many objects that contain the same information and the data foundations created this way have the whole query for the report instead of just what they need to lookup the prompt values. It’s more difficult to manage prompts when you do this.

Best practice is to create a single DC per database, a single DF, BE, and BV for a “topic”, a single LOV for each field or “cascade” of fields, and two prompts - one for a single select and one for multi-select, although you might have more if you need both mandatory and optional prompts.

-Dell

hilfy :us: (BOB member since 2007-04-16)

I’ve done everything you’ve listed. However, I did not schedule the LOV, and I think that was my problem. I can now see the LOV.
Thanks so much for your reply…

capper (BOB member since 2018-03-19)