BusinessObjects Board

Looking for performance tips - Bus Objects is so slow for us

I’m a big fan of Bus Objects for operational reporting, but in our implementation it’s just agonizingly slow - compared to lots of things on the web. As a result, leadership is not going to use it. They can barely wait 5s and then would move on. Yet I can go to Zillow, type in an address, and it’s there in like 2s ! I know it’s not the same, but it sets expectations on how a computer system should work.

So we’re trying to move forward with dashboards for this and that. But from my experience, this wouldn’t work because it’s so slow.

For example, one fairly complex report takes

• 20s just to load
  • 30s to run the report (not bad actually)

But people are used to their phones (and Zillow). Like ESPN, you can pull up the stats from a game lickely-split, then tap the players and BAM! their profile comes up.

Our database is small - - - 30,000 student records and if we have a related table with 100,000 records, that’s a LOT!

Which specific version of BI 4.3 are you using?

Do you have tomcat and CMS in the same machine?

tell us specifications about your server and deployment in order to help you.

but.is a fact… the fiori interface in BI 4.3 is not so fast

Unless your BOBJ is significantly undersize, This sounds to me like less of a BOBJ issue and more of a database issue.
Where are you calling your data from? Is it sitting on a SQL server? Are you doing anything at the server level in terms of optimizing the database for “reporting”?
if your Db is being hit with transactions at the same time as your trying to run a report with a whole bunch of averages and top N transaction this can cause delays.
If your writing inline SQL why dont you test the query speed by running it directly in a sql tool ? So you can isolate where the delay is.
Just my 5cents.
John

• 20s just to load
  • that means - from click to open? - what if you purge all data from report?

DINAMIK,

I’m sorry for the way tardy reply - - - we’re on BI Platform 4.3 Support Pack 3 Patch 2.

Not sure about Tomcat and CMS, my guess is no

Oracle is local server as is Business Objects, nothing in the Cloud, that’s all I know.

It’s always been this way - - - 6 years running from XI 3.1 to BI 4.3.

I like Business Objects but it’s like a dinosaur imo. It’s a workhorse and just great, but it’s not snappy (in our environment)

JohnInNZ,

thank you and I’m sorry for the long delay.

I don’t think it’s a database issue. We don’t have a large database, the root table has 30,000 records (students), 2 M grades records. There’s never an issue running in SQL (Oracle)

Data is Oracle on local server, BI runs on local server as well.

We never really look at performance around here.

Our reports are typically straight lists - operational reports of grades, students, etc. Some can get a little fancy but most are not.

No inline SQL. But I can pull out the SQL and run it, although for one report in particular, there’s like 20 queries with many dependent on each other.

Yes, 20s just to load, click to data display. I’ll see about purging data.

Sorry for the long delay!

how about scheduling the report and only showing latest instance to the people ?

N8AKTIV - - - that’s a good idea, for this one particular report.

But just overall, it’s like snappy like people expect nowadays.

BusinessObjects doesn’t have to suck. There’s a lot of good performance information out there - one of the benefits of SAP BusinessObjects being a “mature platform”. Unfortunately, there can be a lot of places to look for bad performance. The performance of the CMS and Audit databases are the first place to look. I’ve seen situations where the database hasn’t been maintained (well) for years and was spending 50% of its time blocked on I/O, which was fixed by a really good DBA. If your environment is virtual, it may be sitting on an enormous server but the VMware admin is only giving you Commodore 64 performance or isn’t following SAP’s well-documented practices for virtualization. These are only two of many examples. I recommend getting a “health check” from an established partner. They’ll be able to look methodically at your system and make a laundry list of recommendations, from must-have to nice-to-have. BusinessObjects isn’t perfect, but slow BusinessObjects can definitely be corrected.

very good points, Dallas … I’ll take this to our Admin team, thx.