BusinessObjects Board

List objects used in a series of reports

HI,

Can this report be modified to handle the exceptions like if all the reports in the folder doesn’t have the required permissions to open?

But undoubtedly, it works well and give the best results.

Great Work!!!

Regards

BO_Stuffed (BOB member since 2008-03-29)

Possible? Probably yes, but if the files are stored locally, what kind of permission issues are you seeing? Read-only, something else?

Dwayne Hoffpauir :us: (BOB member since 2002-09-19)

Thanks for your reply.

I had created some reports with different user account and they could not be accessed via the account I am using currently, though they can still be accessed using the administrator credentials.

Now the problem with using the administration credential is that the report does not pick up the right universe or it comes up with the screen to choose the universe from and this application ends up in error.

I am very sure you can put a log somewhere on the same folder stating the files which were not processed and still continue with the next.

Kind Regards

BO_Stuffed (BOB member since 2008-03-29)

Indeed, but I will politely decline. The utilities I post here helped me get through some tedious work of my own. I share them in case someone else finds them useful, to serve as samples of the kinds of things that are possible with the SDK, and hopefully are worth at least as much as you paid for them :slight_smile: .

The kinds of behavior you are seeing are the same things you would see if done manually. Those behaviors were not issues for me, but you are more than welcome to enhance the utility to handle those situations for yourself. No extra charge!!!

Dwayne,
This works great!!!.

Did you also by any chance did the same for Webi reports as well? sorry for asking… but couldn’t help myself :slight_smile:

anair_bo :us: (BOB member since 2006-12-05)

I have not, but someone else has … WID Scanner

Hi Dwayne,

I know this is an old thread now and you probably barely use the report, but I have a question.

I’ve adapted the code in this report by adding the code to retrieve user-defined variables and also enabling the report to look in sub folders. This all works fine (with a lot of help from a collegue), but it stumbles whenever a document it opens contains Document_Open macros designed to auto refresh. I have somewhere in the region of 2000 documents for the code to go through, so this will take an age to process all the documents designed to refresh on open (it also crashes on a number of them where they are set up to save a copy or email out etc). Basicaly, my question is “can I avoid the Document_Open command on opening?”.

I have tried a number of work arounds, including restricting the users ability to refresh reports (in Supervisor), but this disables the data provider, restricting access to the universe.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Andy

PS working on BO 6.5.1 on Oracle 9

agowinuk :uk: (BOB member since 2006-08-25)

I’m not sure that is possible. If you have the “Refresh Document When Opening” set, that is already handled (won’t execute) with one of the .Open method parameters. If your own code is doing the refresh, I can’t think of a way to avoid that.

Ok. Thanks for the reply.

agowinuk :uk: (BOB member since 2006-08-25)

Can someone assist me in getting this to open? I’m assuming it is a Crystal Report file and I should be able to open in CR XI.

When I try, I get an error message that says:
This document has the expected file extension (.RPT), but seems to be corrupted. If this report used to work, try opening it with a different version of Crystal Reports and if that still does not work, please contact your administrator.

I’ve tried both the XI and v5,v6 files and get the same message from either.

Any pointers to show me how to use this?

Many thanks!
Norman

neheyen (BOB member since 2006-08-22)

What would give you that idea? The .rep extension indicates a full client (now called Desktop Intelligence) document. Manually changing it to .rpt is not going to make it a Crystal Reports document, sorry.

I have a question about this… I’m working with the download for 6.xx and wondering; We have a universe created that gives us backend information about users, groups, universes, etc. On the report from the download, I’m trying to create/add a dataprovider to go after information with this “backend” universe we have. In the universe we’ve got an object called “Universe Name” that is created from table/field, universe.M_UNI_C_LONGNAME. On the report, I’m linking this object to the Object, “Universe Name” which on the download is DataRow(5) = DProv.Universe.LongName in the code. (I changed this from 'DataRow(5) = DProv.Universe.ShortName & “-” & DProv.UniverseName).
The data that comes back is identical but it’s not working. The VBA code is working properly, listing only the universe(s) used in the report(s). But the object from my new dataprovider is giving me all universe names that we have, and I’m just expecting the universe name(s) that are on the selected reports. I’m wondering….is the VBA code executing before or after the dataprovider is refreshed? Reason why I’m here is that I use this awesome download to list the information about a report but I’m also trying to get more info about the universe…I also want the table and field names of each of the objects on the report…

Hope I explained myself ok!
thanks!!

nonyup (BOB member since 2008-01-07)

Will it be possible for you to provide the code which can retrieve objexts used in user defined variables?
Thanks,
Kumar

mkumar (BOB member since 2002-08-26)

Try this … List report level variables in full client reports

Hi Dwayne,

Reviewing your code, I could improve it, including SQL objects. How can I send it to you, to posted in the forum?

Maybe it could be helpful

Leonardo

leonardo.contreras (BOB member since 2008-07-07)

Hy,

I’ve read your post and I am very intersted with your code for the two next pbs :

• enabling the report to look in sub folders
  • avoid the Document_Open command on opening

Thank’s for your help

Ty_Bou :fr: (BOB member since 2005-02-16)

Take a look at the latest version of this utility … Save for all users. It includes a technique for recursively processing a folder structure.

As previously stated in this thread, I don’t think there is a way to prevent the Document_Open event from firing.

Code below is the main change, in the Dwayne’s code, to process Manual Querys.

'code included to process Manual SQL Querys.
                Else
                  'Processing Manual Providers
                  If DProv.GetType = "DPSQLC" Then
                     DataRow(3) = DProv.Name
                     DataRow(4) = "SQL"
                     DataRow(5) = "SQL Manual"
                     DataRow(6) = DProv.Name
                     DataRow(7) = ""
                     For Each Col In DProv.Columns
                        DataRow(8) = "Field"
                        DataRow(9) = "Variables"
                        DataRow(10) = Col.Name
                        DataRow(11) = ""
                        Call dpCube.DpVBAColumns.AddLine(DataRow)
                     Next Col
                    End If
                End If

Maybe it helps

Bye

leonardo.contreras (BOB member since 2008-07-07)

Is there any limit on the number of documents it can process? I cannot run this macro for 600+ reports.

BOisBest :india: (BOB member since 2004-04-05)

Works great …thanks :smiley:

pravin_kadambi :us: (BOB member since 2005-05-18)