BusinessObjects Board

Linking DataProviders

Hi All,

I searched some old topics on linking dataproviders but did not find something that helped my senario.

I have two dataproviders from 2 universes. All the fields i am dealing with are dimensions. THe first DP fetches 450 rows (based on a criteria) and it is something like

X Y SSN Z

I am using the second DP to get participating program information based on SSN. It fetches 1350 rows and looks like

SSN Program

The only common dimension is SSN and I want the ‘Program’ information to be displayed with columns from first DP for all 450 rows(fulfillig the query criteria). I linked the two DPS on the common SSN field.
Now when I insert a new table in the report and try to pull required columns in the report, it greys out “Program” if I have selected SSN from DP1.

Please help and let me know if i am missing something.
THanks alot.

kashif

Kashif Saeed :pakistan: (BOB member since 2004-06-02)

Look at Steve Bickerton’s presentation by “Solving the Mystery of Data Provider Synchronization” from the BO user conference 2002 in Miami.

The problem you are experiencing is that you can only use unlinked Dimension objects from ONE of the data providers. You’ll have to change the dimension object(s) in the other to Details instead.

Anita Craig :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-17)

Or, oddly enough, read the very first entry in the FAQ for Reporter. 8)

Also you might have better luck finding Stephen’s presentation from the BONYMAUG site here.

Dave Rathbun :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-06)

Create a new measure or detail variable on Program(Dimension Object) and try to insert it into your new table. it should allow you to insert. But change it again to Dimension (O’wise it may give you junk information).

This is one small fix I used to make for these issues.

Ashokkumar (BOB member since 2004-05-20)

It worked. Thankyou guys. You all are great :mrgreen:
Kumar your workaround was awesome.

Thanks again

kashif

Kashif Saeed :pakistan: (BOB member since 2004-06-02)