BusinessObjects Board

Licenses

This isnā€™t really an answer butā€¦

I wouldnā€™t consider installing anything but the full featured product. Use Supervisor to control what it can do. That way, anyone sitting at the PC can log in and use any feature or function. If you install only reader, for example, youā€™ve crippled the installation.

Cindy Clayton :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-11)

:yesnod: Agreed. There has been nothing more frustrating than going to a userā€™s desktop to help with a broken report only to discover I canā€™t work on it!

Iā€™m not involved in the licensing ($$) side of things. I always assumed we split 'em up to save bucksā€¦ I wonder if thatā€™s the caseā€¦ :?

I guess I could always ask. :rotf:

JennFisher :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-25)

Actually, I think the slice and dice panel would still be availble even without Explorer. What you wouldnā€™t get is the drill icon. But, Iā€™m not sure.

I always install everything. Interestingly, in V6, there is no longer a licensing option for Reporter OR Explorer. They are now considered 1 product. You no longer have Infoview+Reporter+Explorer. What you now have is Infoview+BusinessObjects. Something like that. The point is that Reporter and Explorer have been combined.

Steve Krandel :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-25)

In the v6 install program, I think there is no longer way to choose beetween infoview (refresh only) or reporter install (query creation and modif)

Do you know if there is another way (registry, others) to modify reporter installation in order to avoid users to create reports and give them as the old infoview package.

bernard timbal :fr: (BOB member since 2003-05-26)

Use Supervisor command restrictions to stop them

Correct :wink:
I had this found in OCS for futur helpā€¦

Resolution Entry 3973
[Remainder of resolution deleted. It is against BOB policy to post OCS resolutions as they are copyrighted - Steve]

bernard timbal :fr: (BOB member since 2003-05-26)

Ok, how do you find out where BO is looking for the licenses? If you try to run setup again, it just wants to modify, repair or remove???

CONFUSED!!! :nonod:

Charles Killam :us: (BOB member since 2003-04-24)

I FOUND IT!!

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Business Objects/Suite 6.0/default/Shared/General/Directories.

Lost in the Mountains!!!

Charles Killam :us: (BOB member since 2003-04-24)

There is a registry entry that lists the License Directory.

It is under the Business Objects/Suite 6.0/default/Shared/General/Directories

There may be another, but this should give you some idea of what to look for.

-RM

digpen :us: (BOB member since 2002-08-15)

I have a question about Tech Support Licenses. How many does each company get? Iā€™ve heard that each company only gets 2. That means only two people in the entire company are allowed to open cases with BO. Can this be true?

Erin Aasted :us: (BOB member since 2002-08-15)

Erin,

No, thatā€™s not true. In fact, each user can call Tech Support if they wish, and they have the Tech Support code. As long as you keep all of your licenses up to date, they can all use Tech Support.

MichaelWelter :vatican_city: (BOB member since 2002-08-08)

Maybe I shouldnā€™t be calling them Tech Support Licenses. Perhaps it would be best to call them Tech Support Accounts. Is a company limited to two?

Basically Iā€™m wondering how many people from a company should be able to log in to BO Tech Support and open a case.

No, there is no limit. When I was at Verizon Wireless, I had 60 End User licenses, and each one could have used the Tech Support site and phone support, if I had given them the Tech Support code. As it was, I limited it to 5 of us.

I donā€™t think that is true. BusinessObjects does not want 5,000 different members from the same company logging cases. Your number of valid support accounts is limited by the support plan that you pay for. Certain support levels get 2 accounts, higher ones get 5. Iā€™ve never worked at a company that allowed every single person access to log cases.

I donā€™t think that youā€™re supposed to give out the account information to every user at your company.

Dave Rathbun :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-06)

I guess the bottom line, Erin, is that it would probably be best to talk to your Sales Rep. Things may have changed since I was at VZW.

Erin, you and I must have read the same thing I swear I saw this somewhere but it must have been prior to support changes, so I went searchingā€¦

According to the suppport guide (pg 21 on pdf file)-

http://www.techsupport.businessobjects.com/isc/Common/frmOpenSite.asp

Para-phrasing the guide -
Support Contacts
Premium can have 9, Elite - 6, and Stand - 3.

Support contact role - 1st level of support, log tech issues, call regional support, access OCS, download product updates.

jswoboda :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-20)

When I go to the BO Tech Supportā€™s Online Customer Support page and click Enter under Registered Support Contacts, it asks me for my user name and password. Weā€™ve been told that each company only gets two user names and you are not supposed to share those user names and passwords between employees.

Michael: When you were at Verizon were all 5 of you using the same user name and password or did you get BO to give you 5 accounts?

We had 5 different accounts, so we could keep track of our own cases.

Oops! You all posted while I was writing my response!

Thanks for all your help! :smiley:

We have our repository and Datawrehouse on SQL now we are planning to move our Datawarehouse to DB2,do we need a new license for accessing DB2.donā€™t want to change the repository only data Warehouse.

Thankyou.

cheedalla (BOB member since 2004-04-13)