BusinessObjects Board

Left outer Join taking longer than expected

Hello,
I have a DF with two source tables into a merge. Then this merge goes to another merge with another source table and then finally to the output.

Table A has 240416 rows
Table B has 41126 rows.

JOIN condition
Table A left outer join Table B on A.column1 = B.column4

Table C has 600 rows.

But the graph takes almost 50 minutes to run. Its the first part of the graph that has the issue, as i tested by removing Table C and running the graph with the same 50 min execution time. All i intend to do is to replace a column in A if i find a match in B.

Any suggestions on how to quicken the execution.

BOB_US (BOB member since 2006-03-16)

In the job monitor, how many rows does it indicate for the join, is it creating a Cartesian product? If so, you could try modifying the join rank.

Another option might be to use just table A, use the lookup_ext function, and cache table B.

thesnow :us: (BOB member since 2011-08-10)

Within the monitor i only see the target table and the query with a row count of 240416

If the join is pushed down to the database then it could be a lack of statistics that results in the DBMS making a less than optimal query plan. I’ve seen Oracle do this.

eganjp :us: (BOB member since 2007-09-12)

Jim,
I am using sql server as the under lying DB engine. Please let me know, if there is a way to shorten the execution time. The main production tables run into million records and that would exponentially increase the time.

Start by having your DBA gather statistics on the tables.

eganjp :us: (BOB member since 2007-09-12)

Please post the optimized query for the DF.

Cheers.
Shaz

Shazin :india: (BOB member since 2011-07-19)