BusinessObjects Board

Key words

How easy would it be to provide an extra box when making a post, in which you enter a number of search terms of key words, which are then included in the search algorithm even though the words don’t appear in the actual post?

For example, I made a post today which I titled ‘Ghost prompts’. When I was searching this topic, I looked for ghost prompts, phantom prompts, dodgy prompts…you get the idea.

If I had written the post and changed my terminology from ghost to phantom to dodgy as I progressed, the topic wouldn’t read very well. But I could have put “dodgy phantom prompts” as additional key words.

Nick Daniels :uk: (BOB member since 2002-08-15)

Technically speaking it would not be too hard. Logistically I’m not sure how well it would be used. You could always write your question:

I’m afraid that allowing folks to enter key words that do not appear directly in the post would actually generate more issues than it would solve.

For what it’s worth, we already have a search synonyms process, so if you search for “color” BOB automatically adds the word “colour” to your search terms.

Dave Rathbun :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-06)

Okay thanks. It was more about writing an answer than asking a question. The more synonyms I include in my answer the more confusing it will be…but if someone wants the answer enough I’m sure they can try a couple of different searches until they hit gold. 8)

Nick Daniels :uk: (BOB member since 2002-08-15)