BusinessObjects Board

Issues with Installing SAP BO 4.3 SP2 Patch 600 - Not doing fresh install

When I run the install on fresh servers this release goes into update mode not fresh install mode.

Is this a known issue, I hate to drop back and then patch forward on brand new servers.

Logged a ticket with SAP Support but in usual fashion slow to respond.

Hmm, do you mean 4.3 SP2?
We had an issue with migrating to BI4.3sp2 that was supposedly fixed in patch 600 but we were told to wait for patch 700 as there were other issues with patch 600. This could be one of those “other issues”.

SAP is forcing people to adopt SAP 4.3 and they even can’t get the install file right? Maybe they should extend main support on 4.2 until they can get their act together.

Thanks for the quick reply.

1 Like

FP level fixes typically aren’t full installs. Full install is usually available at the SP level, so you install it then have to install the FP.

1 Like

I have done a fresh install of 4.3 SP2 patch 600 with sucess, but I have found many issues/bugs inside. I’m waiting for a new patch as well.

@dtolley, the requirement to have the service pack installed first before applying a fix pack (now called a patch) is supposed to have changed. All packages are supposed to be able to be used for either an initial install or an upgrade. Of course, doesn’t mean they always work that way unfortunately.

@JohnBClark - they are marked as the “ONE” packages, are they?

We were forced to migrate to 4.2 and now we are checking the 4.3. but I have a feeling those tons of bugs are “wanted” and may want to force the customers to use the “SAP cloud” or how is it called… :wink:

Hi, can you elaborate on the bugs/issues you’ve found? We’re thinking of moving forward with this patch…

*universes migrated from UNV to UNX throws IDT error 002500
*ODBC connection to some databases missed decimal part rounded to 00
*some reports with links and references does not show data in webi tables
*illegal argument error in web intelligence app when first time open
*history of webi schedules hangs when delete or filter instances.
*cannot click schedule button on CMC when try to schedule a report.

if you look in launchpad, all of them have notes open, waiting development or investigation.

We found the issues:

1. When the Cluster screen comes up on a fresh install on the 1st server of a new cluster, make up a cluster key. Need capital, lower case, numbers, and a special character (!@#$%^&*())

2. Crowdstrike 6.40 forgot to bring forward the fix in 6.37 that blocks the install of renaming a directory during install. Error states: can’t rename setup.engine_temp to setup.engine. My security admin created sensor visibility exclusion rules for all my BO server for the following paths:
    E:\SAP BusinessObjects\InstallData\setup.engine_temp
    E:\SAP BusinessObjects\InstallData\setup.engine

number 2 is very important because that will block updates on any SAP BO servers. We are working with Crowdstrike to get this fixed again.

Can anyone confirme me this?

in BI 4.3 SP2 patch 600, BI fiori launchpad preferences for LDAP or AD groups does not work.
on normal groups there is no issues but in AD autogenerated groups the customizing does not impact on the users.

I really appreaciatte in anyone can confirm this.

regards.

BO 4.2 SP2 with patch3

There are two paths that SAP defines, with 600+ patches it seemed to work, for both upgrade and install. Upgrade was pretty straight forward. Backup DB and test in sandbox. I had to test both scenarios to for testing.

I always prefer new install and went with that route. cleared system and pointed to existing CMS DB repository. Allowed install to run. DO NOT WIPE DB. You will likely need to clean up old server nodes and parent ID 16, and allow new install to create new CUID mappings for current instance.

Ran a post repair to clean up system, and insure all mappings were in place. cleaned up DFO files, but leave them if unfamiliar.

LDAP and AD, we did face some issues. In our case, SAP JVM was in place with correct libraries. Issue was other java paths defined by other apps being picked up by web app, Tomcat. Cleared java home path, and Tomcat picked up its own paths.

If new to 4.3, some things to watch for. Fiori properties files. Otherwise all is pretty much the same, but with options to add additional features like saml to integrate with or incorporate SSL on CMS. This route will require additional configurations, but out of the box with basic setup seemed to work. Only difference are the SAP JVM definition updates, which I believe is the core fix of patch 600.

Another thing to watch out with 4.3. When you get all the webserver settings right you will get an error that it cannot find the cluster.

All you have to do is signon with the full name of one server and that will set the clustername. Log off and resign in with the @. Do this for Fiori Launchpad and CMC.

That would be correct. The cluster settings are cached by Business Objects and you either need to create that cache, or update it. The process above will do that.

You also want to enter your cluster nodes in the PlatformServices.properties file. I don’t have a KBA reference, just some notes from some training that I took. There are some notes in the file also.