BusinessObjects Board

IS not showing impact or lineage

We recently upgraded our internal BO system from BO 4.0 to BO 4.1 SP2 and likewise upgraded DS/IS to 4.2 SP1. (DS/IS are not integrated with BO 4.1 but use IPS instead.)

However, now IS is no longer showing the impact and lineage of our universes and reports. The BOE metadata integrator is configured correctly and runs fine. In the Metadata Management component of IS, I can see all the public universes, reports, etc.

When I select one of our universes and hit “View Impact” - all I get is:

There is no impact relationship for this object. (UID-10005)

So I open Webi, create a quick report on this particular universe, save it into a public folder. I then re-run the metadata integrator, which reports no errors and log back into IS.

I see the new report in IS (so the metadata came through) but when I click “View Lineage” I only get:

There is no lineage relationship for this object. (UID-10006)

Why can’t IS get the obvious lineage between the Webi report and the underlying Universe? Something seems really broken here?

This used to work just fine - is there something I am missing here?

ErikR :new_zealand: (BOB member since 2007-01-10)

Was the IPS upgraded as well?
Can you launch IS from BOE after the upgrade?
Did you upgrade the client tools on the server and the client as well?
Lastly,
If the answer to all the questions above is yes, can you try to open the universe and reports with the upgraded client tools and publish them and try again?

observer (BOB member since 2009-12-27)

Thanks for taking the time to reply - it’s much appreciated!

IPS was upgraded to IPS 4.1 SP2 on the combined DS/IS server.
The client tools on the DS/IS server are the BO 4.1 SP2 client tools.

We haven’t installed the ISAddOn onto the BOE platform yet as the people using IS will be using the DS/IS server and the average business users may not need to see the reporting lineage from the BOE server.

However, not having the ISAddOn installed on the BOE server shouldn’t prevent IS to collect the universe and reporting lineage/impact information from BOE?

Sure!

The ISAddOn is not needed to be installed with the version you are working with and I understand it is not going to be used by the users.

I had the same issue and performed the below mentioned steps and it worked. If this doesn’t fix the problems, you might need SAP’s help.

In CMC:
Go to Applications --> Information Steward Application(Right click) -->BI Launch Pad Integration --> enter the details of the BOE server.
This will allow you to access IS from BOE.

Once you have done the above, run the jobs again and see if it populates the information.

if the WebI report is getting collected do you see the category called universe objects under the report in IS Explorer ? if not then you will not see the lineage

manoj_d (BOB member since 2009-01-02)

Hi Manoj,

Sorry for the late reply - I was away due to the holidays.

I have checked with you asked and I believe I have seen a symptom of a wider problem with our IS installation - I seem to be missing a lot of information/metadata on our BOE content?

Here is what I get when I click on one of the reports:

(Server and domain names have been removed for security reasons).

I should see the outline of the report - e.g. queries, columns and universe objects. But instead I see nothing at all?

(There really isn’t anything else in the picture but white space underneath but I thought I’d spare you to download/view a picture that is 90% white :wink: )

The BOE Metadata Integrator did not report an error though? Is there anything specific I should look for in the server log files?

Thanks - I had missed this post. I have configured this in IPS under Applications and I am re-running the Metadata Integrator now to see if it fixes the problem. It certainly seems to be pulling more data from the BOE CMS this time around (it’s taking longer) so I am keeping my fingers crossed!

Update:
Hmmm no still nothing. :hb:

I looked at the database log in the CMC, I see all the processes starting and ending but I did notice the following entries. I have no idea if they explain the behaviour I am seeing though?

main [W] 2014-04-28 20:51:24.838 Unable to add user group mapping. Relationship error: The object and related object identifiers must be set; object_id is null. (COR-10265) (CMM-10113)
0004 [W] 2014-04-28 20:53:18.300 Universe [/Universes/XXXXXX/General Demonstration/Australian Airlines.unx]. Universe [Australian Airlines.unx]. while trying to invoke the method com.businessobjects.mds.connection.Connection.getBusinessName() of an object returned from com.businessobjects.mds.datafoundation.DataSource.getConnection() (CMM-10117) (CMM-10117)
0007 [W] 2014-04-28 20:56:16.776 WebI document [Web Intelligence Samples/Australian Airlines]. Unable to search data providers for usage information. while trying to invoke the method org.eclipse.emf.ecore.EStructuralFeature.getFeatureID() of an object loaded from local variable 'feature' (CMM-10129) (CMM-10130)

There were plenty of other entries but these were associated with reports over SAP BW BEx Queries and I do not have any SAP BW Metadata Integrator configured at this time.

I haven’t seen this so, I am going to hazard a guess here. It looks like the failure to read .UNX files only and it may be working on the .UNV files.

So, Can you verify if it is working for the other .UNV files?

If this was working in 4.0, it is possible that a bug has been introduced in this version.

Open a SAP ticket and let us know what they say.

I am running into the same issue. I can see the lineage of reports from inside Information Steward. But, when I try to do it from Business Objects it shows an empty screen.

Any updates or fixes?

This is my installation:
Information Platform Services 4.1 SP02, Data Services 4.2 SP01, and Information Steward 4.2 SP01.

Thanks.

rbrito1218 (BOB member since 2013-12-17)