BusinessObjects Board

Intermittent "Unable to access the web server (CUI-1000

Hey folks,

I’ve been dealing with this problem (error mentioned in subject line) for the last couple of months (since I upgraded to the versions mentioned below). It happens as soon as I log in to the Info Steward web gui and also happens when I try to save a simple rule (you hit the save button and nothing seems to happen, then you get the dreaded “Unable to access the web server” error).

The odd thing that I can’t explain is that when you access Info Stew from the SAP NetWeaver portal you don’t get the error upon Info Stew logon (SSO enabled), yet the error message seems to pop up nearly every time when accessing Info Steward web gui “directly” (i.e. http://HOSTNAME:8080/BOE/InfoStewardApp/1210080705/ICCExplorer/logon.do)

I even tried completely uninstalling IS, DS, and IPS, cleaning out the windows registry as much as possible and performing a FULL install, still resulting in the same error “Unable to access the web server (CUI-10001)”

This is all happening intermittently which makes the situation so much worse !

I see 13 or so SAP Notes on the topic and several other folks on SCN having the same type of problem (error message popping up when performing various actions in the Info Steward web GUI, like view data… etc). None of the solutions work for me or a Note for instance will say it’ll be fixed in later versions.

I’ve also tried turning the logging level up on everything to see if something stands out, nadda. Heck, I even started to attempt a remote debug session with Eclipse to see where things were crapping out. (still working on that)

Any and all ideas deeply appreciated ! Any particular area/thing I should be looking at ??

Environment:
-Windows 2008 R2 64-bit with SQL Server 2008, all BOBJ applications vertically stacked on one box (Virtual Machine - 4CPUs, 8gigs of RAM)

-Data Services: 4.2 SP3 (BuildVersion=14.2.3.549.dataservices64_IM_DS_4.2_SP_REL)

-Info Steward: 4.2 SP3
BuildVersion=14.2.3.514.icc_IM_IS_4.2_SP_REL

-IPS: 4.1 SP4
(BuildVersion=14.1.4.1327.minibip_aurora41_sp_rel)

Repository versions:
Data Services: 14.2.3.0000
Info Steward: 14.2.3.0000

wilsoja1 (BOB member since 2012-02-10)

this is not an install issue, unable to access websever error usually happens if UI is not able to handle an exception, so it throws a generic error message, most likely something is going wrong when getting the data from IS Repo from Application Service

look at the Application Service log and IS Explorer log, these logs will be in \SAP BusinessObjects Enterprise XI 4.0\logging folder

did you open a incident with support for this ? if yes ,what is the #

manoj_d (BOB member since 2009-01-02)