BusinessObjects Board

Install issue when using Crowdstike Antivirus

When installing SP9 Patch7 upgrade we kept getting a setup_engine failures. We tracked it down to a bug in CrowdStrike 6.33.

By upgrading to Crowdstrike 6.37 fixed the file access denied issue and the install now works.

We found the error here with the Rich Client install and CrowdStrike just issued the hot fix mentioned in March of 2022.

1 Like

Disabling anti-virus software is an SAP recommended best practice.

1952120 - Best practices & pre-requisites on Windows while Install/Update/Patching BI

Perhaps your organization does not allow that.

1 Like

Not is this case. The disable of the anitvirus is not available and I haven’t had any trouble with Crowdstrike and doing updates and installs.

With new security policies we admin’s have to work with the Info Sec people to make things work.

Good to know. Our Infosec team recently implemented Crowdstrike. Disabling isn’t an option here either. Is disabling security software allowed anywhere these days, even on a temporary basis??? Can’t imagine it is!

We don’t disable Crowdstrike at any time to do the installs. My Infosec person found the solution after we both kept scrathing our heads to what the true problem was.

Disabling security software is often available as a last resort - usually in conjunction with putting the full installation media on the target machine and taking that machine off the network so it’s deployed in isolation, then restart security software, then reconnect to network.

More likely is granting of temporary admin privileges to get around things.

I’ve also seen this option available when building new machines - I ask my clients to wait to install/configure the anti-virus until after the BOBJ install is complete.

-Dell

1 Like

What was the solution?

Work with IT to have the anti-virus turned off when building a new computer.

-Dell

Question was directed to @tenather who stated they don’t disable and found a solution. InfoSec team would NEVER allow turning off security software or delaying install. Risk and liability of doing so is too great.

This was the solution my InfoSecurity team found for CrowdStrike. We DO NOT disable CrowdStrike to do any installs.

Install issue with ONE Installer – Crowdstrike Antivirus | SAP Blogs

1 Like

These are the things I do installing SAP BO on a server.

1. Using 7-zip unpack both files (saves a lot of time)
  2. When spinning up the VM they give me a admin acct that is used as the service acct. This acct has admin rights to the system.
  3. Install on the NON-SYSTEM drive whenever possible. ODBC drivers must be installed on the C: Drive.

With Crowdstrike I have found it doesn’t slow the install or make it fail with the exception of the bug we found and the link to that fix is in my orginal post. And I posted my blog post on our findings and what the fix was.

1 Like

please be careful when using 7zip or Winzip for extracting BO-files !
→ Note 2930943 - Error: “Missing volume” when extracting BI installer .exe file

Unzipping files has been SOP for decades and was recommended by support. Why the change?