BusinessObjects Board

Information Design Tool 4.1 - cannot see new ODBC32bit drivers

Hi all
I have added a new Microsoft ODBC driver for Sqlserver (ODBC Driver 18 for Sqlserver) to the windows server we host our IDT instance on.
However it cannot see it when trying to create a new connection in IDT

e.g.

What am I missing? are there further steps I need to undertake to see and use this new driver?

Given that 4.1 was released some time ago, it may be that your version of 4.1 isn’t up to date enough to support the new ODBC driver.

2 Likes

What your screenshot is showing is the Business Objects middleware layers. It doesn’t necessarily coincide with the ODBC version you are using. They are actually two different things.

Even in BI4.3, there is no middleware layer for 2018. Last I looked at the Supported Platform documentation, there was not support for ODBC Driver 18 for SQL Server, the latest support was for ODBC Driver 17 for SQL Server in BI 4.3.

This doesn’t mean you wouldn’t be able to use the ODBC Driver 18 for SQL Server to create your ODBC DSNs though. You would just have to use the MS SQL Server 2016 middleware option in the IDT. If you run into any issues, SAP won’t support the configuration.

3 Likes

I think you are correct. I have just successfully connected using the SQL Server 16 IDT driver (ODBC sub select) after installing the MS SQL 17 driver in the ODBC.INI (32bit) windows screen.

It appears to work! Your reply coincides with my findings. Thankyou!