BusinessObjects Board

Import Object description from database?? is it possible?

Hi everyone

We know that typing the description for 100s of Objects in designer is a time consuming process. Is there any way we could automatically import it from the database?

Thanks

Nivi s (BOB member since 2012-05-11)

I wouldn’t bet my life on it, but I’m fairly sure that importing descriptions isn’t going to be possible in XIR4.

The reason I say I doubt XIR4 has this ability is I know many of the APIs have changed or haven’t been fully released, so even 3rd party tools aren’t able to access everything in XIR4.

Now, in XIR3 and previous you could use 3rd party tools to extract objects from your universe, which included descriptions, but I don’t think you could INSERT them to an existing universe…

However… there is a tool in the BOB download section where you can build a Universe from an Excel File… if that has description capability you might be able to adapt that code. It isn’t going to be easy.

Lastly… Everything you find so far will be based on the Universe Design Tool and not the Information Design Tool. Keep that in mind if you are using the IDT in XIR4.

JPetlev (BOB member since 2006-11-01)

Hi,

This utility can change/update universe object names and descriptions:

It should work with BO XI 3.1. It will not work with IDT in BO BI 4.0 as it has been mentioned by JPetlev above.

Marek Chladny :slovakia: (BOB member since 2003-11-27)