BusinessObjects Board

How to: Universe comparison

I have to compare 2 universes for the changes.
Kindly suggest how can i do it in BO. Is there any utility for the same ?

Thanks
Dimple

dimple (BOB member since 2004-07-13)

Hi,

As far as I know nothing like this exist with B/O tools. You have to use external tools like Version Manager from EbiExperts or some other to manage your differences between versions.

Sorry !

Grodan :fr: (BOB member since 2004-12-29)

We are using VSS to compare any files…but with this, Universe cann’t be compared.
Kindly suggest me on same.

Thanks
Geeta

Hi, I often compare universes so I have some questions. What exactly are you wanting to compare and why? Object ID’s, Object Names?

djenkins (BOB member since 2002-12-12)

What I do is run specific queries on the repository and then write a macro to compare the data…

By specific queries I mean – I do comparisons on object name or table names or definitions to figure out what has changed between two versions…

Hope this helps!!

If anyone out there knows of a tool to compare two universes – your input would be appreciated!!

Anonymous (BOB member since 2002-06-06)

EQM from NoadBI is a pretty smooth tool for this kind of thing. (and a whole bunch of other stuff).

If ya need any specifics on it, let me know.

Rich. :wink:

::Rich:H :uk: (BOB member since 2002-09-11)

The easiest way I have found is to print the universes as a pdf. Then open them in Acrobat and use the compare. Works great. Highlights everything that is different between the two files.

cparsons :us: (BOB member since 2004-02-20)

I use manager0.unv to query the universes I that want to compare with all of the fields that I need to compare (object ID, object name, class name, select statement, etc.), place a break by object ID (or object name if your ID’s don’t matter), place a count on the fields to compare, and then fold the break. Anything that has a count of more than one has a difference.

Hope this helps, it works for us!

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

Can you pls suggest me on manager0.unv?
I mean from where i can get it and how it works ?

Regards
Dimple

Please, look in BOB’s Download section here.

Andreas :de: (BOB member since 2002-06-20)

I went through the link. I think, version mentioned over there is for Oracle-based repository but i am using SQL Server - based repository.

Kindly suggest me on same.

Thanks
Dimple

Take just a moment to look through the BOB’s Downloads forum. You will find this post (currently the very first one), that includes a SQL Server version of the universe.

Dwayne Hoffpauir :us: (BOB member since 2002-09-19)

Hi,

News since my last post. I have created another schema and copied all universes structures in it.
Now I have a daily job which compares with a minus the structure in production with the structure in my parallel schema and then I insert changes. It handles objects creation and deletion.

So when a user downloads a new version of the universe, he may go to the intranet where he can see all changes ordered by date.

This is done for the end-users information, not for Designers.

Grodan :fr: (BOB member since 2004-12-29)

Version Manager from ebiexperts does it well with a color codding compare…and lots of things more
CU

LePop (BOB member since 2005-09-30)

[I use manager0.unv to query the universes I that want to compare with all of the fields that I need to compare (object ID, object name, class name, select statement, etc.), place a break by object ID (or object name if your ID’s don’t matter), place a count on the fields to compare, and then fold the break. Anything that has a count of more than one has a difference. ]

Any idea how I can use this utility. It has opened a universe for me but how to proceed further I don’t have any clue.
Regards,
Pandeyji[/quote]

Architect2009 (BOB member since 2005-10-26)

[quote=" use manager0.unv to query the universes I that want to compare with all of the fields that I need to compare (object ID, object name, class name, select statement, etc.), place a break by object ID (or object name if your ID’s don’t matter), place a count on the fields to compare, and then fold the break. Anything that has a count of more than one has a difference."
]

Any idea how I can use this utility. It has opened a universe for me but how to proceed further I don’t have any clue.
Regards,
Pandeyji[/quote][/quote]

Hi Pandeyji,
Using Reporter, you will just create a query using the following objects:
Filename
Object ID
Object Name
SELECT Clause
and whatever else you want to compare (Class, etc.)
Set a condition on Filename to include only the universes that you want to compare.
When your data returns, set a break on either Object ID or Object Name, place a count on the other items. Go into Tools, Breaks and set it to fold so that you only see the counts. The items with more than 1 in the count are different.

I’d be happy to e-mail you the report I work with if that would help, just let me know.

Thanks, hope this is helpful.
dj

Thanks for your valuable help,
I will trouble you again if I have any problem.

Thanks again,
Pandeyji