BusinessObjects Board

How to set up a non-admin group to edit Crystal Report

Bear with me - I know the CMC and Webi/universes, but security and Crystal are new to me. Thanks!

I inherited a BOE system that allows all of our Crystal developers have administrator rights. YIKES! I’m trying to change that, but I don’t know what rights I need to grant to allow the developers to:
Open a Crystal report from BOE in their full client version (on their laptop).
(then they edit, etc)
Publish/Save the updated Crystal report in the proper BOE folder.

Seems like it should be simple, but I can’t figure it out. Any and all help will be appreciated.

BOE 4.2 Crystal Reports 2016

Thanks.

Sandy Brotje (BOB member since 2002-07-24)

I am not sure since only the administrators in our organization (all five of us) can save/modify Crystal Reports to the BI platform. Normally if I had to do it. I would make a test user and give them some very basic rights like ‘add objects to folder’, ‘Edit Objects’. I will check to see if I can find any documentation about this.

kevlray :us: (BOB member since 2010-06-23)

We have many Crystal Report Developers, and none of them are Administrators.

We have set up a Custom Access Level to make it easier to assign the rights for these report developers. The details of the custom access level are in the attached pdf.

We assign this custom access level to any report folders the developer should be saving their reports to and any universes that may be using as a data source for the reports.
Note that the report developers will need access to use Universe Connections and to the BI Launch Pad if you want them to be able to run and view the reports within Business Objects. In our environment, they have the same rights as all of our other users so the rights are assigned to the Everyone group. Our Crystal Report Developers do not have CMC access. These rights are also only granted in our Stage environment. The report developers are expected to use our migration tools to migrate the reports to Production.
CrystalDeveloper.pdf (6.0 KB)

YAY! That did it! I think I have it now. I’m going to let a user test it for a few weeks to see if I need to tweak it before I roll it out fully.

Thanks for your help!

(Gonna miss you BOB! :cry: )

Sandy Brotje (BOB member since 2002-07-24)