BusinessObjects Board

How to send email alert when data is returned in the report

I have a report which returns data and sometimes doesn’t return data .

So whenever I get no data the report should be dynamic enough to shoot email to me .

Is there a functionality in BO 4.1 ?

If so how can we do this

MDV (BOB member since 2015-01-30)

Are you referring to report scheduling? If so, with a little work you can configure a report to fail when faced with a null return of your devising:

You can then configure a schedule failure notification to alert you, with the caveat that you’ll receive the same notification if the report scheduling fails for any other reason.

Not sure there is another way to do this OOTB in 3.x, or 4.x? No experience with 4.x myself, just what I’ve read, so I could be wrong…enlighten me if I am!

HTH

NMG

mcnelson :uk: (BOB member since 2008-10-09)

No functionality out of the box. BUT, why don’t you do something different? Just thought of this, maybe you can schedule the report and turn on the email notifications in your scheduler. In your query, maybe you can make it deliberately fail if it returns no data and not fail if it returns data. Then on the notifications you can send email to yourself on the success and fail.

I don’t know how this can turn out as i have never thought about this before or done this.

NycPriya (BOB member since 2010-11-04)

BINGO!

I guess we both replied at the same time 8)

NycPriya (BOB member since 2010-11-04)

You don’t say which reporting tool you are using. For Crystal Reports, there is an Alerting feature in the reporting tool. You can use this to trigger emails for certain conditions. I have only used it to send an email if the report does contain data, not the other way around but it should be feasible.[/u]

Yeah, weird! Only this morning I had to explain the meaning of the word “coincidence” to my 7 year old son for his spelling test today - this is a perfect example!
:smiley:

mcnelson :uk: (BOB member since 2008-10-09)