BusinessObjects Board

How to schedule webi report based on data changes in report

Hello,

I want to schedule a webi report based on data change in a column in the report.
The scenario is something like below:

1. If a data of a particular column changes from 2 to 3 than I would like to schedule this report and sent it to users mail box.
    I know how to apply alerts or schedule a report or data tracking for capturing changes in the report but I dont know how to schedule the report only for data changes.

Anybody done this before…

Thanks
Gaurav

gs007 (BOB member since 2011-03-02)

How can your report know that it has changed without being run?

You will need to use an Event within the scheduler. This event will tell the schedule that the underlying data has changed and the schedule should execute.

Generating an Event will depend on your needs. But you might create a trigger on your data table, that generates a text file. The event can then look for the presence of this file.

If it sees the file, the Event will then trigger the scheduler.

weaver (BOB member since 2008-10-17)

Did you ever resolve this scenario?

I have a similar request and need to schedule only if a calculated field is high. Sort of like an Alerter but the Scheduler has to know this.

I am guessing that the CMC needs to be used in order to set up an event that is the first part.
The second part is figuring how or what to set up?

thx.

toscajo (BOB member since 2002-09-04)

Checkout options available in BOBJ publisher. I had done the publishing based on report column in BOBJ 6.5 publisher using full client (DESKI) reports.

I think the publisher in XI 3.1 should have some similar options for WEBI.

shekar25 (BOB member since 2004-05-11)

Not sure that Publisher in XI will resolve this scenario.

But I have created a Custom Event using the CMC

Went to the report and was able to add the Event to the report schedule.

But cannot see to figure out how to tie in the Event to be based on a result from a SQL query??

Still :hb: Thinking…

You can setup a alert with your SQL or ETL process that when your last able has been updated, it will send a text file to a network folder location. You can use that text file as an Event in your BO CMC.

EX: Data load finishes at 7.00am, last process is to generate and send a text file to Network Location. BO CMC Event will wait for that file to appear, Event Triggers the reports to run once text file is located.

You alos need to schedule a task to delete this file every day so that any changes in tables / data overnight will be considered as a new change and can generate your trigger.

Hope this helps.

pavan_cca :australia: (BOB member since 2009-04-06)

You could set the report’s schedule to trigger an event which will run a batch file which will delete the trigger file. That way, instead of once a day, it can be used multiple times a day.

dopple :uk: (BOB member since 2009-06-19)

Couldn’t you just modify this mechanism?

HTH

NMG

mcnelson :uk: (BOB member since 2008-10-09)

Thanks for all the great suggestions. I have been playing with profiles within CMC and it looked it it does work in my QA environment.

However, the user changed requirements again and now I need to revisit it again.

It seems like they want a monitoring tool set up through Business Objects reporting!