BusinessObjects Board

How to Retain CUIDs while migrating reports in 4.2

Hi BOB,

We are currently moving from BO 4.1 to 4.2. We have few reports with hyperlinks in earlier version. When we migrate them to 4.2 Dev region, all the hyperlinks were broken and we have fixed them.

Our Admin team is using PMT for report migrations in 4.2. When they migrate the reports through different regions (Test, Stage and Prod)

1. I know we can keep same CUID’s during the migration? I just don’t know how to do it, is there any options admins will select to do it? or BO will retain the CUID’s by default?
  2. Our admin team is suggesting us to use sDocName instead CUID in the opendocument to avoid any issues in future. (their intension is CUID’s may accidentally change, but report name will be consistent)—Is this the best option?

Thanks,
Anil.

anil.ganga1 :us: (BOB member since 2007-07-04)

Interesting. I think the CUIDs must not change if you upgrade from 4.1 to 4.2.

Does your migration procedure include copying of the reports within the same environment? If a report is copied, the CUID will obviously change.

The report name can also accidentally change. More over you can have 2 version of the report with the same name in the environment. Then opendocument will open the first it finds. And sPath may be deprecated in future:

“sPath does not support the use of localized folder names which are available in this release. Legacy documents that use sPath to reference the correct folder name as stored in the CMS will continue to work while under deprecation. But it is recommended that you migrate your links to use the iDocID parameter instead.”

If you choose sDocName approach, do not forget to vote for https://ideas.sap.com/D24924 :smiley:

Dmytro Bukhantsov :norway: (BOB member since 2011-10-14)

We’re in the process of setting up a Load balancer, for which we cloned our primary BO server and created a secondary (with all the reports). Existing reports are just fine in both primary and secondary with same
CUID.

My problem is, when I deploy a new report in primary, how can I copy it to the secondary server with the same CUID?

Am new to Crystal and BO server. Any help with detail would be highly appreciated. Thanks.

I did not get the point. If you set a load balancer that seems to me you want a user loadbalancing eventually a servers redundancy. it this case instead of server cloning I would install a second node and connect it to the 1st node (= setup a cluster) with the same repostitory without any copying…

if is meant the 2nd node is far far away - then setup another server/env. (IMHO not by cloning) and using Federation services you can “mirror” the content from one to another…

Thanks for the reply tom_kar. Idea to clone existing BO server is to replicate all rpts from the primary BO server to secondary.

If I do a fresh install of 2nd node (mean new server), how can I copy all my rpts from 1st node to 2nd node
(to retain the same rpt ID)? Please explain. Appreciate your time. Thanks.

Hi Vazir,

If you want both the nodes (1 & 2) to work as a cluster, while installing BO on the 2nd node (you’ll need point to the existing repository) and in that case you don’t need to copy of the reports, as both the nodes will be looking at the only copy of the reports on the 1st node (or on a shared drive), and after installation on 2nd node, (from CMC) you’ll need to update the Input FRS and Output FRS default location to that of the 1st node (or the shared drive).

Before Configuring, checkout the pic in the below page, we see only 1 FRS or File Repository Server (WIN FRS01), and multiple nodes (WIN PB04 and WIN PB05).

https://wiki.scn.sap.com/wiki/display/BOBJ/System+landscape+overview

Try steps 5 - 14 in this blog.

https://wiki.scn.sap.com/wiki/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=322437724

Thanks,
Mohammed

Thanks for the quick help Mohammed. I’ll try my hands on the recommendations and post my updates at the earliest. Thanks once again.