BusinessObjects Board

How to Pause 4000 Schedules and resume them later

Hello Team,

We have a BOBI migration planned and as per SAP recommendation we need to Pause the recurring schedules prior to Migration. We have 4000 schedules in Production.

Please help me on :

1. How can I pause 4000 schedules in short time.
  2. Resume only those 4000 schedules after Migration.

Thanks,
Sam

I two recent system migrations/upgrades I disabled the execution of scheduled reports on both current and new servers by stopping, disabling, and unchecking the “Automatically start this server when the Server Intelligence Agent starts” checkbox of each AdaptiveJobServer. When you are ready to resume the schedules start and enable AdaptiveJobServer on new server only.

Noel

1 Like

Thank you Noel for this great suggestion.

SAP suggests to pause the Instances prior to Migration. Will the stopping AJS means the schedules will get paused ?

Thanks,
Sam

Technically, they are not paused in the same way as when you right-click on “Recurring” schedule in choose pause. The status will not change to “Paused”, but there is no service to run them. I would recommend you test this rather than just taking my word for it.

You will need to think about and account for schedules that would have running during the time you are migrating. When you enable the AdaptiveJobServer on the new system schedules that are over due will likely run immediately. However, if you have an hourly report and your migration took 8 hours I don’t believe it will run each of those missed scheduled runs, it will run just once and then resume its hourly schedule going forward.

Any other opinions from the community?

Noel

1 Like

Thank you Noel for the feedback. Yes, we will test the same but I liked the approach of stopping the AJS to ensure no recurring jobs run on target until we are good with validation.

SAP suggests to use Java SDK to pause them using Automation but we have to build a Java SDK script to handle this.

One more point is we have 4000 “Recurring” and 1000 “Paused” schedules in Instance Manager. Even If I manage to pause 4000 manually by selecting each page and right click “Pause” how will I get to know which one to Resume as post Migration I will have 5000 in Paused state. Manually checking each and right click “Resume” will take lot of time and we limited time in Production cutover.

Thanks,
Sam

Migration is a good time to take out the garbage. As part of your migration process, you might want to review those 1,000 instances that are currently paused and delete them if they are no longer needed.

I don’t think there is an easy way in Instance Manager to identify the “real” instances you pause vs the paused “junk” hanging out there.

5 Likes

Thank you for your suggestion.

Yes, I have initiated with my business to cleanup the “Paused” schedules which are not being needed anymore. Hope they can cleanup some.

You should be able to accomplish this my just disabling the AJS. When it is disabled, it shouldn’t accept any new reports to schedule. It will finish any that are currently running but won’t start any new ones. If you still decide to stop the AJS completely, you still want to disable it first so anything processing will complete instead of fail.

2 Likes

input of mine: the disabling AJS is good way if you are 100% sure the new BO evironment is fully functionality/permissions compatible with the old one.
if not (and I will not tell you it was also our case :slight_smile: ) when you enable the AJS all rec instanes which have the next run date in the past will be launched/queued and if any permission issue all instances would fail…
so perhaps a safer method could be to have them paused - and try to resume them in some batches…

1 Like

Got it Tom !!. Thanks for your feedback.

We are trying to find better way to pause the schedules prior to migration all at once like SDK.
As a last option we can always select page by page and make all of “Recurring” as “Pause” though it will be a time taking.

Thanks,
Sam

If you have to go this route, don’t forget that you can increase the number of rows that are displayed at one time by updating the “Maximum number of objects per page” option in Preferences for the CMC. You can at least increase the number you can update at one time.

2 Likes

Thank you for the trick !! this will really help.