BusinessObjects Board

How to get metadata details from report? Modify Dave's code?

Hi,

We have about 7000(!) documents of different type (webi, crystal, full client) in a directory and we need to write a .NET program that displays the reports in which the particular object is used.

I’ve found Dave Rathbun’s “ObjectsUsed” macro at

and was able to implement the same functionality in C# .NET using Desktop Intelligence COM API. But this works ONLY for .rep files.

How can I retrieve objects used in WebI and CrystalReport reports? Is this possible at all?

I tried to use ReportEngine SDK, but .NET version of it does not allow me to get DataSource after getting DataProviders. I’m stuck here. Can anyone suggest anything?

Thanks in advance.

belochka (BOB member since 2007-01-23)

For DektopIntelligence documents, you can use the reporter COM SDK
For Webi documents, you can use the Java ReportEngine SDK
For Crystal documents, I am not sure if it is possible at all, let me know if you found out.

Olivier

oschmitt (BOB member since 2003-12-31)

Thanks for the reply !

We were able to find everything out.

Unfortunately, there is not Webi support for .NET, so we had to write Java Server program with XML communication to our main C# client. Pretty easy and everything works just fine.

For Deski docs I used Desktop Intelligence .NET SDK that also worked fine. It’s very similar to REBean in structure.

And we not so concerned about Crystal reports for now (this func is for next versions of our software), but I think I can get all info using RAS SDK.

The only real problem we encountered is that REBean and Desktop Intelligence SDK do not give access to parsed SQL statements of the objects (Designer SDK does). So, it’s not a problem to get Objects, Classes, Universes and Conditions, but it’s more complicated if we need to know DBTables (physical, derrived and aliases). Seems like there is no way but writing an SQL parser and parse SELECT and FROM clauses in SQL generated by DataProvider with single object. I spent couple of days on writing stable parser working with select statements and sub-selects (derrived tables) of any nesting level.

So, everything is OK now. I’ll post about Crystal Reports when i come to this.

Thanks,
Belochka.

belochka (BOB member since 2007-01-23)

Hi,
Can we export the metadata information of a webi report into XML format, using Report Engine SDK?

i have tried it, i was able to export only the webi report content into XML format, i could’nt export the metadata(data table mappings, table relationships, column datatypes and table source ) information of the report.

Report engine SDK has an Interface XMLView, which has static field META_DATA. how can i explore this one ? :hb:

plz help me or guide me in right direction.

Thank you,
Sak

sakshi :india: (BOB member since 2006-10-10)

Any chance you’d share you’re parser? I’ve set up a very basic one. It resolves aliases but it doesn’t handle derived tables.

tstover (BOB member since 2004-04-07)