BusinessObjects Board

How can I know in what universe is been used a table?

I have a SALES table and I want know what universes have got this table.

I don´t have the auditor.

Can I do selects in the database repository directly for this?

Thanks a lot.

cgarcesg :es: (BOB member since 2005-11-14)

Querying the repository tables directly is not supported, you got to use SDK.

zack :us: (BOB member since 2007-08-02)

As of XI this information is not contained in the repository anymore. It was in 6.5 and earlier, but with the new repository database structure in XI the universe never makes it into the nice normalized format we had before.

It’s unfortunate because we used to be able to answer questions like this very easily.

Dave Rathbun :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-06)

Yes it used to be an easy answer it is now a lot more complex and/or expensiv.

There are solutions :

1. BO SDK and you query the CMS or extract the data from the unv files
  2. SAP will be very happy to sell you metadata manager (where you will get this information
  3. third party tools, there is a large number of tools out there that can help you get an answer to this questions

ClaireB :de: (BOB member since 2002-08-09)

What tools can help me?

cgarcesg :es: (BOB member since 2005-11-14)

Send me a personal message and we can discuss off line some of the tolls and options available

Somewhere I remember that there is a macro in excel which can give you the detail for all univereses. If I come across with that, I will surely let you know.

Right now I am not able to relocate, so just trying to find if I can get that…

aniketp :uk: (BOB member since 2007-10-05)

Document a universe via Excel is here:

However, this requires the user to open and scan each universe looking for the table. I believe what the original poster was looking for was a way to start with the table and find the universes instead, meaning the other way around.

Dave Rathbun :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-06)

Why not keep this discussion in the open? I’m sure other people would like to know this as well… :?:

J0sh :australia: (BOB member since 2006-10-09)

I suppose it’s against the rules of this board.

zack :us: (BOB member since 2007-08-02)

Klaus works for an excellent 3rd party vendor for BusinessObjects, and he is kind enough not to bring any self-advertising rule. :mrgreen:

substring :us: (BOB member since 2004-01-16)

Substring thank you for the kind words. Yes I could talk about our products, In the past when I have done this I have always mentioned all other tools out there as well. In order not to in violation of the Board Policy.

In this case I think the subject is too broad to be addressed in a Public thread. There are many different options to achieve table/universe/report usage details and it will depend on many other factors and requirements.

If anybody is interested please feel free to contact me off line and I will try to understand your needs and suggest the solution best suited for your needs.