BusinessObjects Board

Getting "Operation Failed error" when repoint Doc

Hi,
We have migrated the repository tables from one database to another for a DB2 setup in Mainframe.I run a safe recovery and was able to repoint the repository to the new database.But when I tried to repoint the document and universe domain,I am getting “Operation failed” message even though I am able to connect to database.I am using DB2 5.2 and BO 4.1
Please help.

Thanks,
Hari

haribalakrishnan (BOB member since 2003-04-10)

Is it possible that the connection userid/password for the universe and document domains – that that id/pwd isn’t set up or isn’t the same or doesn’t have the same database rights as in the old database?

Anita Craig :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-17)

Hi Anita,

These are the steps I have done.

1.I have copied the database to a new one.(Universe domain,security domain and document domain)
2.When doing the safe recovery, I give the new schema name in the “Advanced” tab of supervisor
3.I was able to recreate the key,got all the security details correct,but when tried to reconnect the “New” documnet & universe domain the problem starts.
4.I have the new key file to connect to the set of tables in a new schema.So should I need to NAME A NEW DOMAIN as there exist old domains(Universe and document) in the same database with the old connection.

5.If I use the old user id and password,I am able to go with out error.I just need a confirmation that Adding new schema name in “Advanced” option will repoint every thing to the new schema.

Pls help
Hari

haribalakrishnan, you missed a step right after creating the new key.

The first thing you should then have done was go into Supervisor and change the connection info on all of your document and universe domains. Else, you can get cross-linked repositories.

The BOMain.key only has the connection information to get you into the Security domain. The Security domain tables have the connection information for everything else – and if you leave them as-is, they are pointing to the OLD universe/document domain repository tables.

Which is also neatly spelled out in this FAQ Supervisor post.

Topic deals with repository, therefore moved to Supervisor forum.

Andreas :de: (BOB member since 2002-06-20)

Hi Anita,
It was an access right issue with the tables in DB2 main frame(exactly speaking one table).As the DBA give the access right to them ,I didnot see “Operation Failed error” error while changing the connection of the universe and document domains.Now I can change the userid and password,but the NEW userid/PWD section along with the repository domain ( Repository Managemnt,Conncection) is NOT shown,instead old one is shown.Once go back and check the connection it is the old one though while modifying it dosen’t give any issues. When tries to import a universe,it gives “Universe cannot be imported” message.What went wrong ?

Hari

I’m lost – I don’t know what went wrong. Have you looked at the data in the repository tables themselves – maybe you’re still looking at cross-linked repositories somehow?

Anita,
Sorry for troubling you.But now problem is in another level.
I want to repoint the universe and document domain.
It is not giving any problem when done through General administrator.But,

1.After reconnecting to new location(in the same machine) when I look again to the connections of domains,it is showing as the old connection id.

2.When I try to download the universe / report it is giving error “Could not import the universe/report”

Thanks,
Hari

Hi Guys,
It was notrelated to BO steps.The Db2 ODBC engine imcopatability was the issue.For BO version 4.1.3,DB2 5.2 was compatable.With out our prior knowledge,DB2 client version in the test machine has been updated to version7.2.Once changed to DB2 %.2 things are working fine.
hari