BusinessObjects Board

Filters on a filtered report based on user response

Hi,

I have a urgent issue that needs some help and guidance. Here’s the scenario:

I have a BO report that pulls up data about some vehicles. Attached with this issue is the excel sample of the same.

I have created this report by filtering it on “if any one of the exceptions marked yellow is true, display the row”

That is, if after hour purchase = 1 or if dollar transaction exception is true =1 etc, display that row in the output. Else that row will not be displayed in the report. All this is done in the query panel only.

Now, what i currently have is, if the user wants to see how many “after hour purchases” have been made, he just clicks on the after hour purchase link and he is taken to a seperate BO report which has data only related to that.

But I would like to do something like:

When the user clicks on this link, instead of opening a new report, is there any mechanism that we can run a filter that will show only those rows that haver after hour purchases as =1? in the same report?

1. Can this be done using the hide block feature? (if it were 1 block i could have but i have 7 different exceptions and dont know what the user wants to see everytime)

or

1. collecting user response value from the user when he tries to click on the link?

or

1. use hierarchy? currently i do not have any hierarchy on time in my universe. and i think we cannot create hierarchy on measures.

Can some one help me do this? hope i have explained this quite well.

Thanks

Jay

Moderator note; Your post has been edited to remove “urgent” references. They are rude (people are helping you for free here - they are not REQUIRED to help), and frankly, a waste of time. Everyone here has an urgent requirement. Please do not use such references in future. Please help keep BOB friendly! Review this topic for some suggestions, thanks - jac.
test.xls (26.0 KB)

jayashree.r (BOB member since 2007-06-29)

Hi jayashree.r,
Do not have enough time to read the long psot.
Which version you are using? Mention that.

What I understood from the post header is that you want to have the filter on the output of the report based on the user respose. Then why dont you make this user response also in the filter.

Also this is not a paid service, every one present on this group is doing it voluntarily. So refrain from using words like - Urgent.
Everyone is in need.

If still you doubt is not clear then be precise.

Omkar Paranjpe :us: (BOB member since 2006-02-13)

hi,

sorry for using the word urgent… i just used it because i was struck up with it and could not head in any direction. I am using bo6.5.1

The thing is, when the customer opens the report for the first time he should be able to view all the exceptions.

Only when he clicks on a link, i want to activate the filter based on the value he has clicked and then he should be able to view data relating to that exception. hope this is clear.

Thanks
Jay

The problem is there is no “on click” event that will do something in the existing report. The link works because it acts like a hyperlink, which takes you to another report. I don’t know what would happen if you hyperlink back to the same report…

Dave Rathbun :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-06)

Hi Dave,

oh i dont want to re direct it to the same report.

the problem is, it s a huge report and takes 10 minutes to display just around 3000 rows.

and i want to avoid the scenario where the user is made to go to another report with the same data, and again made to wait for 10 more minutes, just to see the same report with less number of columns,

so i thought if we could do some dynamic work like hiding blocks with different exceptions in the table and making those blocks visible only when they user hits on the link which would direct BO to hide the blocks.

This is just my assumption. but i do not know if that is ever possible…

Thanks a ton for the quick reply :slight_smile:

regards

Jayashree

The only way that I am aware of to create “dynamic filters” is to set up a drill filter on the report. It won’t be for drilling, exactly, but if you set up a drill filter on the item in question (which may not even work, depending on how your data looks) then the report user can use the drop-down in the top of the display to filter the report.

This will not work via the web, as you cannot access drilling features on a “classic” full client report via the web.

hi

yes it is not working. i tried using the drill down feature as i mentioned before. but it does not work since the item i am trying to drill down is a measure and am having hard time to convert it to a dimension. and the hierarchy on the universe does not have time in its hierarchy list.

what i want to know is, if it is somehow possible to do what i am trying to do… or if it is not possible. if it can somehow be achieved, i will try harder on it else i will look out for alternate methods to check out my task.

dave i have one another question, can we link from one tab to another tab in the same report? if yes can you pls let me know the code? will opendocument itself work?

tks a lot for your quick replies.

regards

jay

[quote:c32fed8ab0=“jayashree.r”]dave i have one another question, can we link from one tab to another tab in the same report? if yes can you pls let me know the code? will opendocument itself work?
[/quote]

Someone told me that it worked, but only in webi. I have never done it myself.

oh ok… let me search for the method… then :slight_smile: