BusinessObjects Board

Fast Logon and Number of Groups

Was discussing with a client if the number of Groups / links and levels affects the logon time. For example, if he is level 3, it would be a slow logon, if he is level 1, it would be a fast logon.

I don’t think it matters because the SQL generated is the same.

This is a hard one to test which approach gives the fastest logon since there are so many other variables that can affect logon times. Any opinions?

cindihowson (BOB member since 2002-08-30)

see https://bobj-board.org/t/16297
and https://bobj-board.org/t/15911

Very Short: The more groups the slower the login process if a BO user id is member of multiple groups

Andreas :de: (BOB member since 2002-06-20)

us have opinions? :rotf:

what impacts login times?

[list]network connectivity
the database the repository is in
how many subgroups the user is part of
how you manage your universe access (linking/unlinking versus enabled/disabled)[/list]

and yes, this is a hard thing to test but i am sure as you search the site here that you will find a fair amount of discussion on this topic. i would say that to the extent that you can have a simple structure your
login time will be relatively minimal.

csievert :denmark: (BOB member since 2002-06-17)

Thanks, for the reference to other postings. I had done a search before posting mine, but didn’t find anything … I probably am not searching right / use to the new search screen since listserv.

Interesting postings though, I have never used enable/disable for security - just for system maintenance, so I can see how that would slow things down.

hmm, i guess the listserv archives have not yet been imported into here but when that does i know there are some very good discussions on the topic.

another resource for the interim would be some of the user group sites as i know our bonymaug group has had some on the subject. www.bonymaug.com, and being in the area you shoud come to our next meeting - sometime next spring (?) :smiley:

Yes, I would love to come to the next user meeting. We just moved from MI to NJ mid September - it’s been 20 years since I have lived in NJ.

Regards,
Cindi

not to get too off topic (glancing over his shoulder for a moderator :wink: ) but we:

1. post our meeting announcements here in our user group section and
  2. we send out emails to our distribution list that you can join by getting a yahoo id and joining http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BONYMAUG/

elcome to the neighborhood! :smiley:

We just posted the search instructions!

Eileen King :us: (BOB member since 2002-07-10)

Coming soon. Very soon. :slight_smile: [Edit - Archives are in.]

This may be mentioned in the links provided above, but enable/disable is more resource intensive than link/unlink. One of our consultants is doing a presentation at the conference that will talk about this. Even if you can’t make it to the conference, our presentations will be on the web soon after.

You can also create a few indexes that improve your response time for logins.

Dave

Dave Rathbun :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-06)