BusinessObjects Board

FAQ Suggestions: BCA

I have been collecting - with help primarily from Cindy but lots of other folks as well - some “frequently asked questions” from the listserv. I am going to sort them into categories later this week(end) and post them here. I would appreciate it if everyone could help pitch in and come up with the “best” answer. Those questions and their answers that get done will get posted into the FAQ for this topic.

This will be an excellent resource, especially for newer forum members. We never had this opportunity on the listserv, so I hope we can utilize this new format to make this work.

Please check back after this weekend (7/29) and see if there are any questions you want to answer. Or, if you have a suggested Q and A that you want to post, go ahead and do that now. Use this topic, please, and I would like to suggest the following format:

:?: Sometimes when I try to submit a job to BCA I get a message about BCA being offline. Yet when I check on the console, everything seems to be fine. Can you explain this?

:!: BCA is generally configured to shut itself off and recycle back on. By default this happens every two hours, if there is no activity. You may have caught BCA at a point where it was recycling and had not fully come back up yet. Generally you can submit your job and it will run fine. If you see this message every single time you submit a job, then you might want to check your configuration to see how often it is set to cycle.

Dave Rathbun :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-06)

Okay, it took longer than I hoped to get around to posting these. Those of you that have some time and/or the inclination to help get ready for our “live” date, here’s something that will be a huge help. Following are questions that were forwarded to me at BUSOBListFAQ@aol.com over the past several months. If you see a question that you want to answer, please take a stab at it by quoting the question and providing an answer in this topic. We’ll compile the various suggestions and create a formal FAQ resources for BOB. It’s been a long time coming… but this has the potential to be really helpful. Thanks in advance for your participation.

In no particular order, and feel free to add your own “FAQ” as well (this one is fairly week, I am sure there are more FAQs for BCA than this…)

:?: BCA Not Online
:?: Email via BCA - please see SDK forum
:?: Portrait/Landscape problem
:?: File watcher
:?: Why are my schedules being deleted/users deleted from my schedule?
:?: Error 303: Error with no error handler, either in a document that has a macro, or one that does not. (added 8/15/2002)

The issues of BCA error messages have always intrigued me. BCA has error messages that are not even close to being related to the problem that causes the error. For example, the ever popular “Cannot execute 5.0 macro” in a document that has no macros at all. :reallymad: Perhaps we could compile a list of these, with solutions, in the FAQ. :?:

Yeah, this could take some time. My hat is off to you, Dave, for beginning this discussion. :wave:

MichaelWelter :vatican_city: (BOB member since 2002-08-08)

Just added the famous “303” error to the FAQ. Good suggestion.

Well, I may have started this, but I’m looking for help to finish. :wink:

Dave

I hear ya, buddy. And I’m ready to step up to the plate. :yesnod:

I’ve been BCA’ing a bit recently and have a couple of additions:

:arrow_forward: Bad Macro Name (20). This relates to using Add Ins, the resolution being tied in with a registry change on the BCA server to register the Add In…

:arrow_forward: When report bursting if you inadvertently choose one user who doesn’t have access to the universe you will get a (109) Cannot find the <universe_name> universe…the clue is that in the BCA log the owner is NOT the person who scheduled the document but the user who doesn’t have the access

Nick Daniels :uk: (BOB member since 2002-08-15)

:arrow_forward: Error Code = 0x800706be, Error Message = ‘The remote procedure call failed’

Save As:
Save As without directory. By default BCA will save to …Program Files\Business Objects\BusinessObjects 5.0\UserDocs. When you save a file you have to use a fully qualified UNC (\servername\directorypath). The user that starts Business Objects on the server must have rights to write to the specified directory.

UNIX will default to saving in /WIData/UserDocs. At one time AIX could not save to any other directory. Not sure if that is fixed yet or not (we switched platforms from AIX to W2K)

FileWatcher:
AIX will default to looking in a directory (WIData/UserDocs by default). For W2K you have to give the filewatcher name the directory you want to look in with fully qualified UNC (example: \servername\directorypath\Filewatcher_Filename)

Errors:
Maximum duration reached (BCAG0200). Limit of execution time set for batch jobs in admin panel was exceeded.

Unknown running job killed. BCAG0230. Scheduler was shutdown by disconnecting it and reconnecting it in admin panel. (This is at least one reason you get it.)

Error Code = 0x80010105, Error Message = 'The server threw an exception. ',Wcode = 0x00000000, Description = ‘(null)’. Not sure but think this was from user submitting the job to BCA before we upgraded to 5.1. Once the user was upgraded and resubmitted the job, the error went away.

David (BOB member since 2002-08-29)

More common errors (at least for us) when trying to refresh a document in Broadcast Agent:

1. “Error Code=0x80010108, Error Message=The Object invoked has disconnected from its clients…”

Our experience is similar to BusObj Techsupport’s Resolution Entries 10117 and 5327: RAM/CPU overload due to simultaneous scheduling of too many or too many large jobs. ( OR BCA just decided to stop working? :crazy_face: )

Long-term Solution: Change job schedule to give server some relief.
Short-term Solution: Restart BCA or reboot the server, then re-run these jobs (a few at a time).

1. “Error Code=0x80010105. Error Message=The server threw an exception.’…”

Similar to above, but can also be caused by the 5.1.x bug where BCA decides to change your report’s orientation from Landscape to Portrait.

Solution: Delete the job from BCA, then reschedule from BusObj. :wah:

JP Brooks :us: (BOB member since 2002-10-22)

Hi,

are these FAQs somewhere to read?
I have a problem with BCA:
303 error: no errorhandler … in a document that doas not have macro

I’m a new BO and BCA user an I’d like to read about this and/or other BCA problems and solutions

Jakub

Jakub (BOB member since 2004-09-30)

Here they are, right next to this thread :wink:

What about how to install BCA when the user configuration is not client server. I am at a client that is using BOP v5.0 and their universe is on a share drive in that case J drive but they don’t have BO installed on a Windows NT server.
They want to install BCA on their machine which I tried to do by going onto BO setup tool but no BCA available there.
My 2 questions are :

1. Can BCA be installed in that type of configuration ?
  2. Is it possible that BCA was not originally purchase by this client ? which raise the other question of : Is BCA part of the standard BO product or does the client need to pay extra to get it ?

Cheers

gogo (BOB member since 2005-06-03)

BCA can only be installed on a server, not on a client machine.

Also, version 5.0 is way past EOL (End of life). It is no longer supported.