BusinessObjects Board

Exporting to Excel Very Slow

We are trying to export results to excel - about 500k-700k records and it takes 30+ min. Is there any way to speed this up? Any settings?

I’d questions why you’re using Webi to do this.

It sounds like you are trying to carry out an ETL task with a reporting tool.
“If all you have is a hammer, every task is a nail.”

I’d work with your Data Engineer (or equivalent - BI Developer, Data Warehouse Developer, etc.) to discuss the best way of achieving the overall task.

2 Likes

If formatting is not an issue. It might be quicker (not tested) to export as a .csv.

Export as csv has traditionally only allowed you to export the data provider results.
Export to Excel allows the report to be save as an Excel-formatted file.

As you say, it’s an option, but if their intention is to dump the query results elsewhere, they could simply run the generated SQL in a native SQL tool and export the results from there, cutting Webi out completely. SQL Server has a free version which would probably be a far better option as an ETL tool than Webi and that’s assuming that they don’t have BODS as part of their SAP estate.

Good points. Unfortunately some people want these huge Excel spreadsheets so that they can manipulate the data the way they want (If they were better with Webi, they probably would not need to do that).

Very true. Often a lot of the problems are rooted either in the semantic layer or the person building the report not pushing back and asking what they want to do with the data. If the person wants to do their own analysis after, I’d be training them in Webi rather than let them introduce Excel and human error into the equation.

Fortunately or unfortunately I do not do much with Webi (mostly Crystal Reports and SSRS). But I am about a year from retiring, so my time will be limited with how much more support I will providing.

I’m spending less time with Webi these days, largely due to SAP making it too expensive for smaller companies and not progressing the tools enough from 2010-2015, losing massive market share in the UK. I’ve always been a more end-to-end data warehouse developer, so I’m more of a data engineer these days, providing SSAS cubes from the warehouse because Power BI and/or Excel appear to be far cheaper (let’s not discuss TCO or value for money, it’s never a good one!). Enjoy your retirement.

1 Like