BusinessObjects Board

Export of SAP BW Metadata out of IS Metadata Management

Hi there,

I was heavily looking for a possibility to export Metadata Management objects gained from a SAP BW (NW 7.4) system? This question is combined with the challange whether there is a bidirectional way to directly extract those metadata to a SAP PowerDesigner system (16.6). I know that there’s the unidirectional way from PD to IS via PD Integrator.

Thanks for your help in advance!
saponian

saponian (BOB member since 2016-05-11)

Hi saponian,

we face exactly the same challenge.

AFAIK there is no standard export from IS to XML or similar for BW objects, that works only for relational meta data. I know of two options:

#1 develop something on your own

#2 build an extraktor for the IS repository

#3 wait for SAP to develop something

• #1 is expensive,
  • #2 could work, I had a brief look at the data model and extracted some samples. Looks feasible, but has some challenges
  • #3 SAP runs a customer engagement initiative for a direct interface PD-BW

I would be nice if we can pursue a discussion on this!

Regards,
b.

bastula :de: (BOB member since 2008-09-22)

you can use the \InformationSteward\MM\bin\MMObjectExporter.bat to export the objects to XML file

depending on the metadata, the file size will be big, you can check the content of the XML file and see if you can process that, you can try using the objectType xsd but I there is some issue with that, or you can also create your own XSD from the XML

run the utility with following args
MMObjectExporter.bat boeServer CMSSERVER boeUser Administrator boePassword ADMINPASSWORD boeAuthentication secEterprise configuration COFIGNAMEORID filename C:\temp\object_export.xml

replace values in upper case with the values from your env
or

you can also, get the metadata from MMD_BW* views and MMD_Relationship vew

manoj_d (BOB member since 2009-01-02)

Hi manoj,

thanks for your hint.

What is the parameter “COFIGNAMEORID”? What should be placed there?

And do I have to user the Administrator user or can I use any other user with admin rights?

Thanks & regards,

B.

COFIGNAMEORID - Name of Integrator Source Configuration that you have created to collect BW Metadata in CMC under Information Steward ->MetadataManagement->Integrator Sources

or you can pass the configuration_id of this Integrator source, you can get the configuration_id from MMD_Configuration view check the business_name will be same as the integrator source name

manoj_d (BOB member since 2009-01-02)

Works!

Thanks a lot