BusinessObjects Board

Explorer v Webi

So I know licesnsing is personal, but we’re having to re-evaluate and it looks possible that a large number of our Webi users are going to be demoted to using just Explorer.

I’ve never even seen a demo of Explorer as it’s not part of our current product suite. I’m already seeing negatives in that many of our users run multi-query multi-universe reports, but is there anything else I should be thinking about and putting to SAP when I go see a demo in the next week or so?

All input welcome!

Debbie

Debbie :uk: (BOB member since 2005-03-01)

OK. After much googling and watching of youtube videos, I am utterly failing to see the point of Explorer. It seems to me that creating an Information Space is not that much different from creating a webi report and that introducing another layer is an added complication we don’t need. Plus there are so many levels of essential functionality missng, eg:

1. Ability to create measures based on dimensions - count(primary key) at a basic level. Or in fact the ability to create any measure that isn’t a simple arithmetical combination of 2 other measures.
  2. Ability to create complex variables
  3. Can’t base over a UNV universe
  4. Can’t create a multi-query over two universes. Or even a simple multi-query over one universe in order to obtain a full dimension list (to get zero counts against some dimensions - dimension merging to replicate an outer join)

debbie

Debbie :uk: (BOB member since 2005-03-01)

I was asking myself these same questions.
Thank you for posting Debbie.

James

jaquintu :us: (BOB member since 2007-01-09)