BusinessObjects Board

Error 3275 when accessing Excel tables

Hi,

since yesterday, spontaneously the error code mentioned above (in English, it´s something like “Unexpected error from external database driver” or so) occured whenever we try to use an excel file in Desktop Intelligence (XI, 12.6.4.2066). So far we have no explanation why it happens, but everybody is affected. Restarts of clients and servers did not change anything.
Any ideas how to fix that?

KaMiBi :de: (BOB member since 2007-11-08)

We’ve got the same problem.
We resolved it removing the latest Windows update (KB4041689 for Windows 10)
I’ve also open a SAP ticket

eric_033 (BOB member since 2017-10-16)

Windows 7 KB4041681 also give this error using Deski and excel files

eric_033 (BOB member since 2017-10-16)

KaMiBi :de: (BOB member since 2007-11-08)

A workarround is possible also without uninstalling the update:

1. Search in C drive for the file MSEXCL40.DLL
  2. create a newfolder folder and copy the MSEXCL40.DLL wich has a modification date on 1st of jully 2017.
  3. change the key
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Jet\4.0\Engines\Excel\Win32 and point it to the new folder
  4. Close Deski an open it again then test if the datasource on external excel file works
    Hope this help someone !

abdelghani (BOB member since 2017-10-19)

Hi Eric_033
We are having the same issue when using Crystal 2013 to access Excel (xls) files and then refreshing the reports through the BO Server (BO 4.1 sp5).
We have +/- 40 scheduled reports that run every day that read from an Excel spreadsheet and then send data to different parts of the business.
We found that a combination of the two Windows patches:
kb4041678 and kb4041681 caused the problem.
Ever since these two patches were installed any reports that access Excel xls files fail. I cannot remove the Windows patches due to security concerns within the business.
I have tried the SAP solution (https://launchpad.support.sap.com/#/notes/2548907) of using OLEDB drivers instead, but this only works if the Excel spreadsheet is located on the same server that the BO system is running on - I am having issues accessing the data file if it is on a network drive.
I am not allowed to edit the registry settings either so the suggested solution of putting in the new dll is not possible for us.
I have confirmed that the correct access is available to the files on the other server and I can run the report manually from Crystal Reports on my desktop yet the report fails when running it through the BO server.
Any ideas please?
Thanks

SarahG :australia: (BOB member since 2005-08-22)

Hi,

I got the same problem on my business.
I uninstalled the KB4041681.
Issue solved.

Thanks a lot

Giovanni,

Giovanni (BOB member since 2017-11-10)