BusinessObjects Board

Editing Object/Class descriptions by business users

Hi,

We are using BO XI R2 SP1 on windows 2003 server. If we specify a description for an object (in definition tab of properties of object), when users access the universe through webi, move the cursor on to the object…description would be appearing on screen for few seconds.

Our business users are requesting flexibility to change the description of an existing object or add a new description for object. At present this is completely in developers hand as we need to do this in designer.

Can you pls suggest a way by which business users will have flexibility to change the description of any object/class without developer team intervention. Feel free to call me with any questions.

Thanks
Ravi

rvidela (BOB member since 2005-05-28)

This might help you out…

Dave Rathbun :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-06)

This task of setting the descriptions of objects really has to be a joint effort from both the IT and business users. It should not be put in the hands of the business users in principal as they do not understand the SQL part of the definition of the object itself. We tackled this issue by having one business representative for each universe and the universe developers sit together and with the help of the mass update utility managed to complete all definitions of objects as user requested withing 2-3 hours.

We have approximately 25 classes and about 200-300 objects in our universe.

bouk :uk: (BOB member since 2006-02-19)

BOUK,

I agree with what you’re saying, and believe that sitting the business down with the universe developer to define object names and descriptions represents a final check that the universe matches requirements and is fit for purpose. Any disparities will soon be revealed when typing in the descriptions (i.e.help text).

You mention ‘one business representative for each universe’, but in some cases an object definition may need to be defined at a higher, organisational / corporate level; so that no matter which universe is being used in whichever department, the object has the same meaning. i.e. a single version of the truth. e.g. ‘Average Revenue Per User’ means the same thing and has the same definition in both Marketing and Finance departments.

anorak :uk: (BOB member since 2002-09-13)

Thnaks a lot everyone…mass update utility is really good…this solves our problem.

rvidela (BOB member since 2005-05-28)