BusinessObjects Board

e-mail multiple users

I’m a newbie to this…
i have a report that is 100+ pages. i need to e-mail it to about 100 managers but i only want to e-mail the pages that are part of their department. it is a scheduled report that runs monthly.
any help would be appreciated!
:hb:

Womo :us: (BOB member since 2010-03-25)

Welcome to B :mrgreen: B

What is the data source for your report. This can be accomplished via Business Views or Universes using bursting.

V

Eric Vallo :us: (BOB member since 2002-08-15)

it is an ORACLE database ; i have an AD distribution acct set up and i was using that acct to e-mail everyone but the managers said the report was too large so they only want their dept information mailed to them; we are currently using CE10

My Crystal experience doesn’t go back very far with CE10, but I believe to burst a report in CE10 you have to use a business view as the source. I know I used that technique in Crystal XI so I hope it wasn’t one of those features to creep in between those releases.

You might set up a quick test with a business view and a simple report to see if this can meet your needs, or hang out to see if anyone else has an opinion on this capability in CE10.

Hope that helps.

V

Eric Vallo :us: (BOB member since 2002-08-15)

okay, thanks. i’ll look into business view.
thanks! :smiley:

Womo, what format are you sending these reports out in? If you are sending them out in PDF or Excel format then the Business Views won’t help you very much. If they are being send out in native Crystal RPT format then Business Views are a great solution!

If your e-mail is going out as a PDF or similar format, I’d suggest the bursting path and if you do a search here you’ll get more information than you can handle with multiple third party vendors offering solutions. (Including my company!)

Good luck and let us know what path you end up taking.

edurda :us: (BOB member since 2005-09-08)

I’m sending it out as PDF; i found free software that burst the report but now i’m trying to figure out why the files aren’t going out via e-mail. time to figure out smtp and java!!
thanks for all your help!! :yesnod:

Awesome! What tool did you end up with if you don’t mind? It’s always good to know what people are using successfully.

I’m using pdf-explode at the moment…works except it isn’t e-mailing the users! :reallymad:

I’ve never heard of that one myself, but good luck and let us know if you get it working or if you give up and try something else. Thanks for the update!

There is a free report splitter and report delivery software, DocumentBurster. It has also good report bursting documentation. It can distribute the reports to either FTP or Email.

Doru (BOB member since 2008-03-25)