BusinessObjects Board

Document a universe using Excel and the Designer SDK

I too am getting a “VBA-Out of Memory” error on the “List Objects” method and when it all finishes, I see that the list is short by about 50 objects…

I don’t know VB enough to debug this to the fullest, but is there some code where I can ask the code to stop executing (or even better, dump the name of the object in question) every time there is an erroneous object?

I’m on XI R2 SP3…

Thanks!

sdeshpan :us: (BOB member since 2005-06-28)

I have got the metadata good with the universe. But when it comes with linked universe i had to manually paste the tabs from the linked universe into the core universe spreadsheet.

Does the macro needs to be adjusted ?

thanks.
rajesh.

rnola (BOB member since 2006-03-26)

Did you find a solution Rajesh ?

I am having the exact error after my pc was upgraded to Vista (XI R2 client software installed locally, Excel 2007).

margarita (BOB member since 2005-11-08)

Theres nothing there I needed to do. Infact everything gets into the the spreadsheet.

Let me know if you have questions.

rnola (BOB member since 2006-03-26)

Hi folks

Does anyone know what I would need to do in the macro to change the spreadsheet to include the sql for any derived tables?

I have made a few mods locally to the spreadsheet to include original table names (where an abject references an alias) and also converting internal values(eg object type from the numeric code to Measure, detail etc). If anyone is interested (once I have my derived tables) I could upload my version for review.

SandiR :uk: (BOB member since 2004-12-20)

Sandi, if you get it cracked we would appreciate having your alternate version on here 8)

Nick Daniels :uk: (BOB member since 2002-08-15)

I certainly will Nick!

I have been searching for any SDK documentation that would help me in the derived table bit with no joy yet.

We use the spreadsheet to help us impact changes in existing universes as there is no metadata impcat utility available at XI R2. Well none available for free as the company will not purchase any.

Cheers, Sandi

OK - cracked it!
I will just tidy it up a little and then submit my version for review!

:wave:

I am still struggling with the error “VBAProject - 430: Class does not support Automation…”. This is triggered by the line Set DesApp = New Designer.Application. I am using Excel 2007 on Vista. I also have Visual Studio 2005 installed with .NET Framework v3.5. I have local admin rights on my pc.

I have the correct references set under Tools - References. Intellisense works in the code and from the Object Browser I can see Application as a class in the Designer library.

I have tried the resolution in Solution to VBA error 430 Class does not support automation with no success.

It seems like Excel cannot connect to the correct dll to launch Designer at runtime. Any thoughts on what else I can check ?

Check whether anyone in this thread has got the code working on Vista and/or Excel 2007.

Nick Daniels :uk: (BOB member since 2002-08-15)

Thanks for the constructive comments Nick :wink:

I appreciate this macro was designed and tested on a previous OS and Excel version. I’m sure I can get this to work, and the documentation that it provides is too valuable to me to just give up on it.

This is great - We have been talking about possibly building a SQL knowledge base from the columns in the spreadseet and accessing that information via a universe. I looked for the universe name to be imbedded somewhere in the spreadsheet but didn’t see anything. Is the name and business objects folder available anywhere in the actual spreadsheet?

Thanks
Rich

EIC_Rich (BOB member since 2008-12-17)

No, and it’s so frustrating. I know that it DOES work with Vista / Excel 2007. I got a shiny new computer a few months back, and it works flawlessly, but I can’t explain why.

Dwayne Hoffpauir :us: (BOB member since 2002-09-19)

I got it eventually :smiley:

For me it was a combination of :

• local admin rights to pc
  • explicitly set Designer.exe to run as Administrator
  • turn off Vista User Account Control (UAC)
  • added config file to directory containing Excel.exe to point to correct .NET Framework. I haven’t experimented removing this file to see if this makes a difference.

It makes it difficult if you work in a locked down environment. I have to change the UAC setting every day that I want to run the macro as it resets each night :roll_eyes:

Good stuff! Hopefully we can get a few more folks to confirm if these steps help, because it’s been quite the mystery for some time!

wow!!! :+1:
amazing tool. Thanks a lot.

I am trying to find the Class to which the object belongs? The RootClass function returns the name of the root class. How can i get the name of the immediate Class and not the root class?

If this Question has already been answered in this huge thread can u please guide me to that post.

Thanks in advance

srijoy (BOB member since 2009-09-29)

Hi,

How can the script be ajusted so it will fetch all the universes info ?

Yoav

yohab (BOB member since 2003-12-24)

Not sure I follow the question exactly. The .RootClass property returns the “parent” class of the given object. If you are looking for all of the intervening classes above it (the class “folder” structure), I can see two choices. First, you “sort of” have this information on the Classes tab of the utility. Second, you could tweak the code to successively concatenate a string with the “trail” of classes … say, inserting a “/” between each level.

Hey Dwayne,

i was actually asking if it’s possible to document all the universes files rather than just one at a time.

Thanks

Yoav

yohab (BOB member since 2003-12-24)

He was answering the post prior to yours.

It doesn’t make sense, in my opinion, to do everything at once. If you wanted to, I am sure you could put a “wrapper” loop around the base code provided in the utility and loop through all of the universes. You would need to figure out how to store the information.

Dave Rathbun :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-06)