BusinessObjects Board

Document a universe using Excel and the Designer SDK

Is there an XIR3 version of this coming?

twofivepie :uk: (BOB member since 2008-10-16)

No need. The description in the XIr2 version download states the following … “Version XIr2 - also works with XI 3.0 (in VB editor, go to Tools, References… and change to 12.0 library if needed).”

Dwayne Hoffpauir :us: (BOB member since 2002-09-19)

so it does…sorry

twofivepie :uk: (BOB member since 2008-10-16)

Love this tool, but would be very interested to see if anyone has modified this to document ALL universes in the repository rather than limiting to single execution.

Robin Cotton :us: (BOB member since 2002-10-17)

Hi, I am facing the below error message while trying to click the button.

“VBAProject - 430; Class does not support automation or does not support expected interface”

Macro was set to Medium: for you info.

please guide what can be done now.

This app is very impressive.

chaithu1983 (BOB member since 2009-05-19)

The error code in VB Scirpt is taking to the line:

ErrorHandler:

vbCritical, "Failure in DocumentUniverse()"

Hope it is useful info.

chaithu1983 (BOB member since 2009-05-19)

Has “something” to do with permissions on your machine. The suggestions here have helped some to get it working.

HI,
using this Excel file (Document a universe XI2) can’t proceed? i clicked many times on “Document a universe” Button,but iam getting"The macros in the project are diabled" in Vb editor of Excel ?may be the the problem with Excel macro or my universe?

Naveen Vanaparthi (BOB member since 2008-07-02)

I found this because Macros Disables in Excel File, i have Enabled in Excelmthen i documented the universe

Naveen Vanaparthi (BOB member since 2008-07-02)

Do you know this solution has been transposed in BOXI v3?
It seems that all info is not retrieved with this version of BO? (only some sheets, no objects, class or filter retrieval)

Thansk,

loic_cadiot (BOB member since 2007-01-05)

I have the exact same need.

loic_cadiot (BOB member since 2007-01-05)

+1 on a great tool! It’s just what we were looking for!

Well, almost. What would be even cooler is a similar tool to compare two universes, such as corresponding production and development universes, to confirm what has been modified in development. Output could be similar to this, with only the differences listed.

I could write it myself, but I thought I’d ask here first if anyone already had. If I do get around to it, I’ll post it here, but I’m not at all sure I’ll find the time. (Although it would probably only take about the same amount of time as going through 2-3 manual comparisons, the first of which I’m in the middle of now!) :expressionless:

JohnBrooking (BOB member since 2009-12-22)

Hi!
I was wondering if there is a way to discover which classes and objects are hidden in a universe.

What is the purpose of Show() property? It seems to be true for all classes and objects, even hidden ones. Am I barking at the wrong tree?

I’ve been writing a vb.net variation of this excellent utility for a while now and this is one of the final problems I have. :hb:

Ilkster :finland: (BOB member since 2002-09-16)

Personally I’d document them one at a time.
Much easier to maintain if you’ve got one spreadsheet per universe, especially if they’re not related.

I have this running on XIr3.1 sp2 and its is great - except - I am getting an error with detail dimensions when it is trying to get the associated dimension.
The error is ‘Designer - 107: Cannot Get AssociatedAxis’
Has anyone else seen this and knows how to solve it please ?

sdimb :uk: (BOB member since 2007-04-18)

Hi Dwayne,

Thanks for the metadata spreadsheet.
I see there are Table ID’s,Class ID’s, Object ID’s, and Condition ID’s. in each of the specific tabs respectively.

Is there a way to attain 'Join ID’s ’ here.

I have a test environment here where I can compare my results with the test and production universes where I could test by classes,tables, Objects and conditions but not on joins tab. Would working on the macro works ?

If there is a way to get join id’s then that would make this a complete picture.

Any help is appreciated.

rnola (BOB member since 2006-03-26)

Not to my knowledge, sorry. That said, a join by definition is unique. Essentially, it IS it’s own key.

Just in case this is helpful I was able to get this macro running yesterday and its so worth working through the issues. Here is what I had to do, I’m on Vista…

1. Disable UAC - through msconfig / tools

2. Give Designer.exe Administrator rights in properties / 'run this program as administrator

3. Reboot

4. Open Designer, Import your universe, fix any object parsing errors (or just delete them from your temp copy since they don’t work anyway), save to default location and exit Designer.

5. Run macro, if necessasry enable content. When you click on ‘Document a Universe’ you will see it launch Designer but I have to toggle over to it. Login, open that universe and it should work. I did not get any info in the first tab so I thought it didn’t work, but it did, check out the other tabs.

biketrip (BOB member since 2007-09-14)

Hi. Great utility. It works, however, I received a VBA project out of memory condition. Any idea what this message means?

Jim

lavell (BOB member since 2002-12-19)

hi Dwayne,

I found that the out of memory error is due to the excel limitation of each cell.

I have a number of object that require to have move than 1024 charactors.
I modified your code to add “’” before the obj.description and obj.select and everything is fine now :lol:

For Each Cls In Clss
        For Each Obj In Cls.Objects
            RowNum = RowNum + 1
            Rng(RowNum, 1) = Cls.Name
            Rng(RowNum, 2) = Obj.Name
            Rng(RowNum, 3) = Obj.Type
            Rng(RowNum, 4) = "'" & Obj.Description
            'Excel drops a leading apostrophe, so make sure it stays
            If Left(Obj.Select, 1) = "'" Then
                Rng(RowNum, 5) = "'" & Obj.Select
            Else
                Rng(RowNum, 5) = "'" & Obj.Select