BusinessObjects Board

Document a universe using Excel and the Designer SDK

wow!!! :+1:
amazing tool. Thanks a lot.

I am trying to find the Class to which the object belongs? The RootClass function returns the name of the root class. How can i get the name of the immediate Class and not the root class?

If this Question has already been answered in this huge thread can u please guide me to that post.

Thanks in advance

srijoy (BOB member since 2009-09-29)

Hi,

How can the script be ajusted so it will fetch all the universes info ?

Yoav

yohab (BOB member since 2003-12-24)

Not sure I follow the question exactly. The .RootClass property returns the “parent” class of the given object. If you are looking for all of the intervening classes above it (the class “folder” structure), I can see two choices. First, you “sort of” have this information on the Classes tab of the utility. Second, you could tweak the code to successively concatenate a string with the “trail” of classes … say, inserting a “/” between each level.

Dwayne Hoffpauir :us: (BOB member since 2002-09-19)

Hey Dwayne,

i was actually asking if it’s possible to document all the universes files rather than just one at a time.

Thanks

Yoav

yohab (BOB member since 2003-12-24)

He was answering the post prior to yours.

It doesn’t make sense, in my opinion, to do everything at once. If you wanted to, I am sure you could put a “wrapper” loop around the base code provided in the utility and loop through all of the universes. You would need to figure out how to store the information.

Dave Rathbun :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-06)

I considered including that feature in the utility, but came to the same conclusion as Dave. It just didn’t make sense to me. Most users of the information would immediately put in a filter to look at one universe at a time. That said, if you wanted to document all universes stored locally, you could adapt the “recursion” technique shown in this utility, and apply it to *.unv files.

I too had difficulty in getting this to work for BOXI 3.1 on Vista, but thanks to Margarita’s tips I got it working with:

1. Developer i.e local admin rights on Vista
  2. Setting the Designer.exe to run as Administrator
  3. Turned off User Account Control
    (FWIW I didn’t need to do the last step involving a config file.)
    Thanks to Dwayne & Margarita

rodlangham :uk: (BOB member since 2004-04-13)

Thanks for this great tool Dwayne! :+1:

I was wondering if there is a way to get the connection information, such as Connection Name, Database, and User, using your macro.

Please let me know.

Thanks!

rbrito :ecuador: (BOB member since 2007-09-06)

Sure, give these a try:

DesApp.Connections(Univ.Connection).Name
DesApp.Connections(Univ.Connection).DatabaseEngine
DesApp.Connections(Univ.Connection).DatabaseSource
DesApp.Connections(Univ.Connection).UserName

Dwaine, this is an absolutely fantastic utility - ive been using it for quite a while now and its saved me significant abouts of time.

I have been trying to modify some of the code slightly with limited success. I basically want to change the Table Name(s) column on the Objects tab, so that rather than a list of the distinct tables used in each object, it displays a distinct list of the table names & column names… (ie - tbale1.column1, table 1.column2, table2.column1 etc)

We have a number of complicated objects in one of our Universes with multiple table/column references (decodes/case etc).

The code is:

For Each Tbl In Obj.Tables
Rng(RowNum, 7) = Rng(RowNum, 7) & Tbl.Name & ", "
Next Tbl
'… but remove the trailing comma
If Obj.Tables.Count > 0 Then
Rng(RowNum, 7) = Left(Rng(RowNum, 7), Len(Rng(RowNum, 7)) - 2)
End If

I have tried modifying it, including ‘Dim Col As Designer.Column’ at the start - but I keep getting compiler/compatability error’s.

Do you think this is possible, and (if so), would you be able to point me in the right direction please??

mrsnow (BOB member since 2006-11-16)

The only way I can think of is to parse through the .Select property (the SQL) for the object … nasty.

is there anyway to get the unqiue object ID of any of the measurements/dimensions?

AuguC (BOB member since 2009-11-20)

Please see this post back on page 3 of the topic. :slight_smile:

thanks dave ! got it

is it possible to do this using a Java application?

Moderator Note: Ghost72, Please do not cross-post. It leads to fragmented discussions and is against our forum rules. Continue here. Thanks for your cooperation.

Jansi :india: (BOB member since 2008-05-12)

Sorry abt that

I get an “automation error” (try to translate message box fom german) :(.
It looks like counter overflow, something about -2147417851 (max. integer in VBA?)

The macro just fills the corresponding excel pages with full list of tables, columns, joins, contextes. And conditions too. But the list of obects is not complete, some classes are missing. It seems that the macro interrupted somewhere in the loop for getting objects properties.

Any idea how to workaround this? Maybe the universe is not ok? What happens if some object doesn’t have a valid definition, i.e. wrong table name in select? Could it lead to such error?

I’ve got this error with Excel 2002 and 2003. WebI is 3.1, local installation of Designer and SDK is v12.

fel (BOB member since 2008-10-21)

Hi, i’m getting the error:

vbaproject - 430: class does not support automation or does not support expected interface

any ideas

smiths5 (BOB member since 2009-12-07)

Hi, Welcome to B:bob:B!

At the top of this page there are several search links, one of which is “search this topic.” I used that to come up with a number of prior posts that already discuss your question, including this one that might help. Thanks.