BusinessObjects Board

Do we face any challanges or issues while upgrading from BO 4.2 to 4.3

Hello All,

Very glad to meet all of you… I am creating a document where I should bring all the information related to BO upgradation from 4.2 to 4.3.

We are migrating to 4.3 from 4.2 … do we face any challanges or issues while upgrading from BO 4.2 to 4.3 ? If yes please let me know what are they …and if you have any documented information for migration activity please share it with me: ( vijjuethiraj.13@gmail.com) it helps me a lot.

Thanks & Regards,
Vijaykumar.

Hi Vijaykumar,

The question is a bit too general to really offer advice.
The issues you might face or what decision you make during the upgrade depend on a lot of things.

• Size
  • multi vs single node
  • Types of universes *and amount
  • Type of database connections
  • Complexity of reports
  • Uograde vs side-by-side

We have recently upgraded 5 enviroments and done 2 side-by-sides. They all behaved differently and all had different issues afterwards.
Please note that the current SP is still on level 2. So still unintended bugs are arround and not everything can be fixed on short term.

Regards,
G

• SP03 is coming in December
  • you can get a lot of information about 4.3 at SAP-Blogs or Wiiisdom or InfoSol (+SpeakBO.com)

We have had issues, mostly with our Lumira installation and we are trying to incorporate SAC.

We have recently upgraded to 4.3 and are seeing issues that were not caught during testing in non-prod that has same configuration. It is very challenging to reproduce the errors and provide logs to SAP as the errors are intermittent and some random factors cause these errors. My sincere/hard suggestion is not to upgrade to any of the available 4.3 SP2 Patch6,7 and even 8. If some of you noticed, SAP release SP3 for sometime in the GA and removed from the downloads now. Not sure if SP3 is bug free yet…

Maintanance Schedule shows week 49 for GA of SP03.
It is a cumulative update with all the previous bugs fixed, but also with some new WebI-functions.

The problem is we have to upgrade to 4.3 since our support for 4.2 ends in a month. We have 4.3 SP2 Patch 600 running on our test server and so far we are not facing major issues. But I get worried if I read all of the above.

That was our main reason as well, but if you don’t need priority support (We haven’t had support contact for over a year on 4.2 SP 7… so if it’s steady, why upgrade to the bug version?) then why not wait till 4.3 becomes stable.

if there is a proper Test-server with 4.2 and you upgrade that to 4.3 without any issues, then Prod can’t be different :roll_eyes:
if there is no Test-server or only a Test-server with different/incomplete configuration/universes/reports then it is recommended to do the 4.3. install on a separate/new machine, so you can import everything step by step and compare the results.
A functioning backup is always the basic requirement when upgrading directly from 4.2 to 4.3 :wink:

A couple of things to also be aware of:

There have been some changes to Webi, so you will want to check a good number of Webi reports to make sure that they’re working correctly.

Lumira and Deski are deprecated and not included in 4.3. If you use Deski, those objects will have to be re-implemented in Webi. For Lumira, you’ll either re-implement in Webi or you’ll have to look at SAC (Analytics Cloud).

-Dell

I’ve worked on bo for 20 yrs plus seen many versions and done many upgrades but 4.2 to 4.3 has been by far the worst and caused me to lose all faith in BO, issues are,

-Interface looks nice but is slower and to anything now means different steps, my users hate it complain alot.

-Issues with fhs data providers alot had to be re-created in 4.3.

-Frequent errors like internal server errors, snapshot error, telling users they don’t have access to dp when they do.

-alot slower to do anything, create reports open reports edit reports

1 Like