BusinessObjects Board

Display Full Client Image via WebI?

Moved to Webi 1/x 2.x (Cindy)

I really have read all the topics I’ve found on BOB that are related to this, but don’t have a definitive answer to my question :hb:, so here goes:

Our documents are developed in full client in Windows (XP). On our reports is a bitmap of our corporate logo – a file reference, not an embedded image. The image is not embedded because it’s much easier to change the image file once rather than updating an embedded object in each document in our repository.

These full client documents are published to the corporate documents repository and viewed in WebI by our client community.

All was well (everyone could view our corporate logo – either in full client or via WebI) until now. Up to now, our WebI server was running in a Windows environment. We are now migrating to Unix. Therein lies our problem.

Our full client development environment is Windows. Our BCA server is also running Windows. But because our WebI server is now Unix, we have not discovered a way to display our corporate logo in both full client and WebI.

If I use a UNC to identify the bitmap file in full client, WebI only displays a diagonal line in the cell where the logo would reside. I have not been successful in using a URL to identify the bitmap file in full client. I understand that this would work fine in a WebI document.

Any ideas? All help is appreciated! I have even begun considering putting our corporate logo in a database, but Business Objects doesn’t support a BLOB in a Universe. Perhaps there’s another way?

cre907 :us: (BOB member since 2003-07-15)

Further info: we use Business Objects 5.1.7 and WebI 2.6 or 2.7.

The best thing to do is to put the images on their own Website. Then you can refer to them as HTML links instead of files.

There was a presentation at the BO conference a couple of years ago by Gary Bernstein that covered this. You should search for it on the support site. Search for “Advanced Reporting Techniques for WebIntelligence”.

Steve Krandel :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-25)

Thanks, Steve.

Is it possible to put a URL for a bitmap file in the formula of a full client BO report? If so, how? Will it be viewable in both full client and InfoView with the ActiveX control? Does it have to be specially formatted?

My reading to date has only given me information on how to put in a URL that displays as a hyperlink, not as the address of an image that will actually be displayed.

I am curious how you arrived at the conclusion that “Business Objects doesn’t support a BLOB in a Universe”. I am running into this brick wall as well and could use some reinforcement.

Greg Krason (BOB member since 2005-08-19)

Greg,

Note that this post is almost 3 years old – and is for WebI 1.x/2.x, which corresponds to legacy BusinessObjects 4.x/5.x. And those versions didn’t support the use of BLOBs for objects.

BusinessObjects just couldn’t store BLOBs in the microcube. I do not know if this is still a restriction in XI, but I’d suspect that it might be so.

Anita Craig :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-17)