BusinessObjects Board

Design Studio data sources v webi query times

If I create a webi query over my UNX universe, it takes maybe 5 secs to run. If I create the same query in DS, it takes five times as long (or more) for the edit window to come up so I can change my initial view - and even then I have to open/close it several times before the actual data shows up in the “live preview”.

Why is this? Is it a different process/server being used, even though it’s essentially a webi query in both cases?

Debbie

ETA: Add a simple graph. Drop a simple data source on top of it … and 5 minutes later, I’ve still got a spinny circle in the middle of my screen! I have an i5 processer with 12G of RAM - it’s not an old pc! Is it me? It’s unworkably slooooooww… .

Debbie :uk: (BOB member since 2005-03-01)

Design Studio works best with SAP BW/BEx Queries, it was built for that initially; HANA and particularly universes were an afterthought IMHO.

Andreas :de: (BOB member since 2002-06-20)

I noticed the same to be honest, nasty horrible derived table query in webi was 5 secs but took much longer in design studio.

Im thinking the integration is probably not optimised yet. Well probably have to wait for he Lumira\DS hybrid before we get anything responsive.
Ive got a meeting with counterparts in SAP OEM Presales next month, Ill see what I can find out!

ABILtd :uk: (BOB member since 2006-02-08)

So with Xcelsius/SAP Business Objects Dashboards really only providing SWF - and flash being increasingly disliked (if not outright blocked), it seems that unless you are SAP BW, dashboarding isn’t going to be viable for much longer?

I’d be interested to know. We are teetering on the edge right now and this will just be another nail in the coffin of what was a fantastic product.

There’s nothing like pushing customers straight into the arms of Microsoft!

Debbie

Wow… that certainly lowers the bar for any Design Studio expectations. :shock: I hope that’s a drive-by statement.

Xcelsius would continue to be great if they fixed all the issues that have been identified and put on the back burner for the past years. But all the developers are on vacation in Rio - not sure what they’re doing down there. :wink:

SAP and Adobe - can’t mate two mules and expect a race horse.

datawizard (BOB member since 2015-01-20)

It became clear a while ago that SAP gave up on Xcelsius. There was no way to divorce it from Flash and keep it backwards compatible. Since Flash is a dead end, that makes Xcelsius a dead end.

I think Design Studio was dropped on the market before it was really ready for prime time. I’m hoping that we see a major revision that brings it up to scratch.

It’s looking like I may have a contract coming up to convert all of the Xcelsius dashboards I’ve built for my current customer over to Tableau. Because Flash is no longer permitted on our intranet.

Lugh (BOB member since 2009-07-16)

Hmm, Power BI and (Sap Dashboards or Design Studio) aren`t really similar though! The former is more like Lumira.

Theres not many tools that are similar really, I heard Tableau doesnt really have the customisation power. This is why I liked LogiAnalytics, you could literally build anything with it and make it look exactly how you wanted.

ABILtd :uk: (BOB member since 2006-02-08)

Debbi, but Xcelsius can output true HTML5 code instead of FLASH!!!
HTML5 output will not support all XC components though, but I’d say about 90+% of the components are HTML5 ready.

Nope, if you dig through all the documentation (and therefore limitation for any non SAP BW data sources) and know a little about the history of how DesignStudio came to be (=the successor to SAP’s WAD) then this is not a mere feeling…

Having said that you have a couple of options for dashboarding:

• Continue using Xcelsius, use the HTML5 MODE for publishing! No FLASH here!
  • DesignStudio is still improving/new Features, see Roadmap
  • Look at Lumira or Webi or Crystal Reports for Dashboarding

The roadmap says the two products are going to become one.

Nick Daniels :uk: (BOB member since 2002-08-15)

Well, two Clients still, I suggest reading the fine print and do consider the timeline: end 2016/ first half 2017 I believe.

Two clients? Oh honestly…

Yep, [i] Lumira Studio /i and Lumira Desktop (Lumira old) or so and subject to change of course :wink:

:hb:

But will they still be limited to UNX-based queries though?

One of the beauties of Xcelsius is its ability to process little snippets of code. I pass parameters back and forth to completely customise the front-end for the user - fire tiny bits of SQL against different databases to merge datasets and drill down into the detail.

I’ve not played with HTML5 at all. Will take a look, thanks

Debbie

Lumira isn’t limited to unx queries - you can do freehand sql, spreadsheets etc

Maybe - but Lumira is the most awful clunky restrictive piece of BI software I have ever seen … :lol:

I had a play a while back and I couldn’t think of a single use for it that wouldn’t cause more problems than it would solve.

Debbie

As Nick noted, the SAP Frontend Tools can access various data sources:

• DesignStudio = SAP BW/BEx queries (preferred), SAP HANA, Universes/unX
  • Lumira = SAP HANA (preferred), Freehand SQL, CSV/XLS, Universes/Unx
  • Webi = Universes/unv/unX (preferred), SAP BW/BEx queries, Freehand SQL, CSV/MS Excel

Of the 3 mentioned above only in DesignStudio can you easily write code = BIAL, a subset of JavaScript. Otherwise you are into SDK/API land…

And Debbie, I stress it again: Xcelsius can also publish as TRUE HTML5 (no FLASH involved) :!:
So you migth as well continue using good, ole Xcelsius for a while 8)

So … stupid question time then (again). HOW? I can’t find any export option - the html export is just the flash wrapper. There’s nothing in the help files and the only export mentioned at all in the help files is via flash: For all formats, the model is saved as a Flash SWF file…

Can you give me a starting point to go and play? Ta.

Debbie

ETA: Google gave me this: http://scn.sap.com/community/businessobjects-dashboards/blog/2012/11/24/how-to-get-the-html5-version-of-your-dashboard-without-publishing-to-mobile But the path/file doesn’t exist on my pc. Even in preview mode.
And this: http://www.antivia.com/blog/?p=1182 From 2012 and yet my version of Designer doesn’t have these features? I’m on SAP BusinessObjects Dashbaords 4.1 Support Pak 5 Patch 11, Version: 14.1.5.1872

Which version are you using ? An older one?

→ File | Save to Platform As | Dashboard Objects for Mobile Only
XC and HTML 5.jpg