BusinessObjects Board

DataServices Lineage vs Metadata Manager

Hi All,

I would just like to understand the difference between the data lineage available in BODS and what extra Metadata Manager offers.

According to BODS it should be able to see my fields from source all the way to the universes & reports.

How is this link established?

Kind regards
Laurens

lverstraeten :belgium: (BOB member since 2006-11-02)

the major difference between BODS Impact and Lineage and BOMM are
1 - with BODS you only have lineage between DS and BOE, with BOMM you can collect metadata from other applications (RDBMS, CWM, other ETL etc (using MITI bridge)

2 - in both BODS the lineage is established using schema name and table name for the tables, where as in BOMM you can control the level of comparision and also create your own equivalency rules across configurations, in short there are some UI improvements and additional functionality

3 - BOE integrator in BOMM collects more information compared to CMSCollector in DS like Universe filters, permissions, users, groups etc

In BODS the link between BOE reports and tables is establsihed using the owner name and object name (column/table) used by the universe object and owner name and object name (column/table ) imported in Datastore

manoj_d (BOB member since 2009-01-02)

Hi Manoj_d,

Thanks for your quick reply.

I would just like to confirm the following statements as i need to propose both options later this week and would like to know what to recommend.

1. DS Metadata Integrator offers an out of the box data lineage from DS Datasource to Universe and Reports? Will i need to create the universes from DS Designer in order to populate the lineage automatically or can i use BOE Designer as well?

2. BOMM will extend this view that DS MI offers with the ability to connect more in depth (db level, users,groups,… ) and to more systems outside SAP and also offers a more user friendly UI?

3)DS MI is included in the DataServices License and BOMM will probably be a seperate license?

Kind regards
Laurens

you will have to run the calculate oclumn mapping and cmsCollector

I don’t think so, you can try exporting the datastore to CWM format from Designer (Metadata Exchange option in Tools menu), before doing this d othe calculate column mapping, check the XML file generated if it has mapping information, use this XML file in Universe Designer or Universe Builder to update the universe and see if the data gets updated in the universe objects

yes

yes

Hi Manoj,

Thanks again for the info.

I have installed and configured the Metadata Integrator but when i want to run it in the CMC it returns the errormsg:

"Could not authenticate using the provided operating system credentials. "

However i filled in the windows user/pw… . Do you have any idea?

kind regards again! :slight_smile:
Laurens

Hi,

I ran the cmsCollector manually and it found my test universe!

What do i need to fill into the lineage part in the universe objects? Shouldn’t this be filled automatically? Does it require table.field definitions?

I see both ETL and Universe in DS Lineage analysis, but they are not linked.

kind regards
Laurens

How can i use this XML to update my universe information? When i take metadata exchange nothing happens… .
When i try to launch Universe Builder he compains about .net.

Kind regards
Laurens

if the job is failing in CMC with authentication error, then you have not entered the correct credentials, fix that and you should be able to run the configuration from CMC

if you don’t see link between CMS Data and DS Data, then problem could be with the schema name and table name not matching, do you have multiple DS Configurations? if yes, then set the default configuration to the one that is used by the Universe connection. The Lineage in DS is established based on the schema name of the Default Configuration

Export the DS Datastore to CWM format from DS Designer (Metadata Exchange), and use the generated XML file in Universe Designer or Universe Builder, if there is an issue with Universe builder then first fix that or try on a different system where it works

Thanks for the advice Manoj_d!

I got now both Metadata Integrator and Medatadata Management running.

The only issue that i still have is that in metadata management explorer i do not see the lineage from my report towards the source.

All other things are shown except this… . It even works on the Metadata Integrator.

Is there a setting that i have forgotten?

Kind regards
Laurens

did you run the DS Integrator also ?
if you have run the DS Integrator and don’t see the lineage from BOE Report to DS, then check if the source table used in BOE report is used as target in some DS Dataflow and is being loaded from a source table

also, check in the DS Integrator if there is any lineage for this table or not

in which order do i need to run the integrators?

Because i see the lineage from the source to the report, but i don’t see the view from the same report to the source.

I’m a bit confused.

you don’t have to run the integrator in a specific order, as mentioned earlier the relationship is establsihed dynamically based on equivalency rules and other settings

if you have DS Integrator and BOE Integrator and BOE Universe/Reports are using table that are loaded using DS Dataflows then for dispalying the lineage or impact MM will compare the column name, Table name, schema name, catalog, database (depends on the setting, comparing up to schema name is default)

for example:- if you have a DF in DS which reads fom T_S and load to T_T, and T_T is source for Universe Objects, which are used in reports, then after running the integrator for DS and BOE you will see the lineage of reports as below
[T_S->T_T->] —[->T_T->U_OBJ->R_REPORT]

but if for some reason the mapping T_S->T_T is not collected by DS Integrator or the source is not supported by DS Integrator (like XML, Adapter Message etc) in that case thel lineage for report will be
[T_T->U_OBJ->R_REPORT]

you will not see the DS Integrator, since there is no lineage collected in DS Integrator for the table T_T, and the table is Same As T_T table collected by BOE Integrator by Design lineage will stop at the object that doesn’t have any further lineage coming from source